Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing 360 models… inside 360?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
tdtwohy
381 Views, 3 Replies

Importing 360 models… inside 360?

I know things have changed, but I have a body (torso) I've made in f360... and now I want to import a separate body (head) I made previously. This seems like a no brainer, an obvious thing to have... I just can't find it anywhere.

Both files are open and seem fine... but there seems to be no way of importing the head onto the torso... and I made both models INSIDE F360.

I know importing from other programs is an iffy area due to formatting, file type and so-on, but within 360?

It should be easy and obvious to build libraries and components and be able to import them... business plans involving 360 would depend on it.

Hell, "collaboration" demands it. "Gee Bob, that had you've made would look great on my torso"

Why cant I find such a vital internal tool? Is it hidden... removed? I've looked in may obvious places... it just isnt there at all?

Am I blind?

Could the act I made the solid in and older (last) version be a factor? (the tools are different on the open "head" file.)

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
joel.palioca
in reply to: tdtwohy

Hello,

It sounds like what you are looking to do is insert one F360 file into another?

If you already have both F360 files imported into Fusion, what you can do is open one of the F360 files (based on your description the torso) and then go to the assemble tab and choose insert.  If you still need to import the F360 file into Fusion you will need to do this first before inserting the file into your original F360 file.  You can do this from the dashboard under Upload and "Import CAD data from my local hard drive."

insert.png

What you should see is a Retrieve Model dialog come up that will display all of the designs you currently have inside of Fusion.  Selecting your design will import the model into your current F360 file.

retrieve model.png

I hope this answers your question.  It also sounds like the capability to insert a F360 file into another F360 file isn't easy to discover.  I will take a note of this so that we can look more into it.

Cheers,

[Joel Palioca]
[Software QA Engineer]
Joel(dot)Palioca(at)autodesk(dot)com
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 4
tdtwohy
in reply to: joel.palioca

What the hell?

"Insert"??

Assembling parts found from a file browser is "importing" in the rest of the known universe... heck MOST programs allow simple copy and paste from any two open native files.

I thought "insert" was a component joining tool. You guys can't go hiding useful tools like this. Import (in all it's varied forms) should be a well defined and visible on the interface.

AND now that I have "inserted"... there is no way to shrink and resize the model as you seem to think sculpting is a two munute task and keep smashing my sculpts into hard, unresizable models at every opportunity.

Its like you're actually trying to make this program harder to use. Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 4
garin
in reply to: tdtwohy

I agree insert isn't in the best location, we are looking at better places for it in the future. 

As for scaling, there are a few tools like this that aren't in the Timeline yet although we will be adding them in a future release. Take a look at the following video, it might help with your scaling needs. If not lets chat a little more about this.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report