Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import Parts

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
Royce_adsk
3369 Views, 17 Replies

Import Parts

Is there a way to start importing design into another design? If I have sub-assembly projects that are used in multiple larger projects how would I place those assemblies or even basic parts into a project?

Royce.Abel
Technical Support Manager

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Oceanconcepts
in reply to: Royce_adsk

This is one of the less obvious parts of  the interface.  You need to know what you called the other assembly you want to use.  Click on the little magnifying glass at the top right of the window.  A text entry field will appear.  Start typing in the name and the list of matching files will appear, select the one you want and it will import. It works well, unless like me you forget what you called something.  You do need to have the part you want to import saved as a separate file, I don't think you can grab an element from another file, as with copy and paste.

Ron

- Ron

Mostly Mac- currently M1 MacBook Pro

Message 3 of 18
kat.ingalls
in reply to: Oceanconcepts

Thanks, Ron! Royce, did that answer your question?

Kat

Fusion 360 Social & Community Manager
twitter: @adskFusion360
facebook: /fusion360
Message 4 of 18
Royce_adsk
in reply to: kat.ingalls

Agree that it isn't the most obvious, but once you know it is there it seems to work fairly smooth.

I would think at some point users will want to have some sort of browse option since forgetting the name will probably be common for some users as you said 🙂

One thing I did discover is that I can do a 'Save Copy as' to a sub-assembly or part so that I can import that specific section into another assembly.  Cool stuff.

Royce.Abel
Technical Support Manager

Message 5 of 18
haughec
in reply to: Royce_adsk

I agree that we should provide browse in addition to search when inserting components.  We're looking into this.  FYI - the next release of Fusion 360 will offer a "Place" command in the Assemble menu to place components.

You can also copy/paste components from one design to another, though the Paste workflow isn't very clear at the moment.  To paste into a separate design, you must select a component in the browser, right-click and select "Paste New".  Ideally, you should be able to just right-click in the screen and select Paste.  I'll see if we can address this.

Thanks

Charles Haughey
Fusion 360 User Experience Architect
Message 6 of 18

I cannot see this "magnifying glass" anywhere, has the workflow changed?

If not, can we have a screen shot please?

Message 7 of 18
schneik-adsk
in reply to: big_red_frog

The place command is on the assemble pane 

2013-08-03 08.16.23 pm.png

Then you can type a name to search your data to insert.

2013-08-03 08.16.42 pm.png

Browse is coming in a future update. Hopefully September.

Kevin Schneider
Message 8 of 18
kat.ingalls

Did the screenshot help? What're you working on currently?

Kat

Fusion 360 Social & Community Manager
twitter: @adskFusion360
facebook: /fusion360
Message 9 of 18
tdtwohy

It helped ME!!

Dang, Place! Imma use this MOFO till it HURTS, logos?... text?... illustrations? ... it's ON!!

BOOM! 🙂

Message 10 of 18
big_red_frog

Thanks for this, now I know where it is "hidden"

Appreciating the whole design browsing is due a rework...

Message 11 of 18
big_red_frog

First attempt to use place command crashed fusion 😞

CER_83533963

Message 12 of 18
big_red_frog

and a manual copy and paste between designs worked fine.

Message 13 of 18
AndrewSears

I ran into this same issue yesterday where placing an imported part caused Fusion to crash.  Your crash reports are going into the same bucket as mine from yesterday. We have a defect logged to fix this.  

Can you email the Fusion beta file?  Use "Export Archive" and email to  andrew.sears@autodesk.com.

Just wondering, did the original file come from a 2011 or 2012 SolidWorks part file or was it created in Fusion Beta? 

Thanks,

Andy 

Message 14 of 18
szepin
in reply to: schneik-adsk

Any idea why my menu doesn't have the "Place" option?

Missing Place in Assemble Menu

Message 15 of 18
JonSchaeffer
in reply to: szepin

You are using the version for Mac. It does not support that yet. (I'm right with you.)

www.genesisprecisionaz.com
info@genesisprecisionaz.com
Message 16 of 18
szepin
in reply to: JonSchaeffer

Thanks so much for prompt response! Will use Windows then.
Message 17 of 18
szepin
in reply to: JonSchaeffer

Surprisingly that with Parallels in Mac, Windows 8 version of Fusion360 also doesn't come with the "Place" option in the Assemble menu. 

Is there anything I need to do in order to import the designs of my own or uploaded STP files to a new design?

Missing Place in Assemble Menu

Tags (2)
Message 18 of 18
szepin
in reply to: szepin

I just realised that I can do the same using right click and "Insert". Thanks for everything, guys.

Insert Using Right-click

Tags (1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report