Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Imporitng DXF & selecting units??

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
pmcfadden
4690 Views, 17 Replies

Imporitng DXF & selecting units??

Hey there,

We need to design some gears. I know this is not yet a function in 360, so I found a 3rd party app which generates involute gears and exports them via DXF.

My question is when I upload a .dxf is there a way to select scale? IE how I let fusion know if its importing in inches/mm etc... If there is no way of selecting this what is Fusions default scale for DXF imports?

thanks!

-Pat

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
rishivadher
in reply to: pmcfadden

Hi Pat
Go to preference and chose the mm to be your default unit our same as the DXF, wich you’re importing.
Best yours truly

Message 3 of 18
pmcfadden
in reply to: rishivadher

Hey thanks, seems for some reason with the prefs set to MM, I had to export in CM to make the units work...

thanks though, this does solve the issue
Message 4 of 18
YoSmite

Has anyone solved the DXF scaling issue?
Message 5 of 18
tmodcustoms
in reply to: YoSmite

+1

Message 6 of 18
Phil.E
in reply to: tmodcustoms

As you have noticed, @pmcfadden there is no way to set units on import of DXF. We are well aware of this. Actually, posts like this help bring attention to the need for such a control, so thanks! This could also be put on the idea station, I'm sure it will get votes!

To be clear:

DXF is unitless. All CAD programs have to assign unit value on import. DXF is imported to Fusion as CM. So if you export it as CM from wherever, you should get good results. Otherwise, use the scale tool.

Thanks for posting.

Regards,

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 18
friesendrywall
in reply to: Phil.E

So dxf is unitless, please make a way to import as inches.  As of 2.0.2013 nothing works, preferences are ignored and dxf is always imported as mm.

Message 8 of 18

@friesendrywall wrote:

So dxf is unitless, please make a way to import as inches.  As of 2.0.2013 nothing works, preferences are ignored and dxf is always imported as mm.

DXF files being unitless is not entirely correct, you can save unit information in them for use in Autocad's design centre and quite a few programs use this as a way of  storing the unit information in the file.

Here's an example using QCad, a 2" square.

Clipboard01.png

Opened in Fusion, still 2".

Clipboard02.png

What program are you exporting from and can you set the units for the export.

My test file's attached.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 18
Phil.E
in reply to: HughesTooling

I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble with this today.

@friesendrywallHave you seen this dialog? Are the settings in this dialog not providing the right results? If not, can you attach your dxf?

insert_dxf.png

Thanks,

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 18
friesendrywall

I haven't seen that dialog.

Message 11 of 18
Phil.E
in reply to: friesendrywall

It's found here:

Insert_DXF_001.png

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 12 of 18

To get the dialog above you need to use InsertDXF on the insert menu, this will only work for 2d DXF file.

Clipboard02.png

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 13 of 18
dghylin

Had this problem and found that selecting the right dxf format solved my problem.  My solution can be found here....

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/design-validate-document/scaling-inside-the-sketch-environment/td-p/60...

Don

Message 14 of 18
Phil.E

Ha ha Mark, jinx.

🙂

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 15 of 18
Phil.E

I just wanted to be clear about this for a second: The ability to pick units upon insertion should cover almost all cases of DXF unit selection. This is new functionality as of this week, so if you have any issues with it, please let us know!

Thanks,

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 16 of 18
langstaff.5

I'm importing .STL files from a former license of Autocad that I had.  Tried to import 3d models from the dwg but the conversion failed.  On importing the .stl files I'm having the same issues as these guys with the DXF.  Fusion seems to think my prosthetic arm is 4 meters long and will not allow me to scale it.  argh.  Other than that...  I'm loving how fluidly fusion is handling the organic structures.  I could do the same thing in autocacd, but it required more planning with the UCS.

Message 17 of 18
HughesTooling
in reply to: langstaff.5

@langstaff.5 take a look at this video around 5 minutes in. There's a new mesh workspace and when you import a mesh you get the option to set the units.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1qFIl9h-os

Here's an example same part imported set to inches then set to millimeters.

Capture4.PNG

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 18 of 18

backroadmetalandfab_0-1610746388718.png

I inserted a DXF file. It will not let me change the from almost 500 inches to 24 inces. I tried using the sketch dimension tool but it still wont change. How do i change this?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums