Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to create profile curve for loft

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
rms_adsk
5330 Views, 7 Replies

how to create profile curve for loft

I have two profiles in two sketches, and I want to create a loft between them. I can do this. But now I want to add a profile curve to control the loft shape. 

I constructed a plane perpendicular to the two sketches. If I add a vertical curve on this plane, I get an error saying it is not connected to the profile curves.

From a few screenshots I have seen, it seems like I need Construction Points on the circles. How would I create those?

loft1.jpg

---
Ryan Schmidt - Autodesk Research / Design & Fabrication Group - Creator of Autodesk meshmixer
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
karyeka
in reply to: rms_adsk

Hi Ryan,

yes, the guiding sketch curves for loft need to intersect with the loft profiles.

I can use project in sketch menu to project the 2 profiles onto the vertical plane. That way I get the projected points to sketch my guide rails (centerline if you only have one curve) on the vertical plane.

Please see the video - http://www.screencast.com/t/Mc3NBcdDiY

Is this what you are looking for?

Regards,

Anand Karyekar

Fusion360 Development

Anand Karyekar

Forge Graphics
Message 3 of 8
rms_adsk

OK, that partially worked...I could project the top circle, but for the bottom shape (which is created from projection of a body), I got this error:

Projection of the selected spline/curve would result in a degenerate segment and cause future modeling problems!

I tried a second circle and that worked OK. I got the two lines in the vertical plane, and created a curve on it. If I add that curve to the loft, it becomes the centerline. But when I select 'Convert to Rails', I get this error:

The guide curve does not intersect all profiles

Maybe I am trying to do something wrong? I have tried a bunch of times to make a curve between the two circles, and cannot get any of them to be accepted as Rail curves...

---
Ryan Schmidt - Autodesk Research / Design & Fabrication Group - Creator of Autodesk meshmixer
Message 4 of 8
karyeka

Hi Ryan,

Can you send me your file at anand(dot)karyekar(at)autodesk(dot)com or add me to your design?

I tried on my sketches and it worked but noticed some inconsistencies which we will take a look at. Also, some of the error messages with respect to rails and centerlines should be better.

Regards,

Anand Karyekar

Fusion360 Development

Anand Karyekar

Forge Graphics
Message 5 of 8
jeff_strater
in reply to: karyeka

Hi Ryan,

One important distinction here is the difference between a "centerline", and a "rail" as used in loft.

A centerline is a single curve that is used to influence the shape of the entire loft.  Its requirements are only that the centerline has to intersect the plane of the profile(s).  It does not have to intersect the profiles themselves:

centerline rail loft.png

centerline rail loft 2.png

A rail is one or more curves that can be used to locally influence the shape of the loft.  Rail curve must intersect the profiles geometry precisely:

rail loft 1.png

rail loft 2.png

I hope this helps a bit.

Jeff Strater (Fusion development)

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 6 of 8
hungwai.lim
in reply to: jeff_strater

I am struggling in creating a rail intersect the profiles precisely. Could you advise how to do that?

Message 7 of 8
davebYYPCU
in reply to: hungwai.lim

Use "Project Intersect" The profile curves into the Rail sketch, then snap the rail to the created purple points.  Helps to turn off the profile sketches while drawing the rails, to be certain.

Browny

Message 8 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: hungwai.lim

@hungwai.lim wrote:

I am struggling in creating a rail intersect the profiles precisely. Could you advise how to do that?

File>Export the *.f3d file to your local drive and then Attach here to a Reply.

Someone will demonstrate solution with your geometry.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report