Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create 3d sketch?

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
mark2t
26044 Views, 15 Replies

How to create 3d sketch?

How do I make a 3d sketch in 360? Can't seem to find anything that will toggle it on? I'm capturing design history; if I have to turn this off to do 3D sketching, I'm gong to be very dissapointed. There are no features that should not be captured by design history.

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
carl_bass
in reply to: mark2t

The first thing to do is to turn on the preference to allow 3D sketching 

z.PNG

Then start a 2D sketch and use the move command to take spline points or line end points to move them in 3D

Here's a sketch I started on a face of the cube. I drew a 3 point spline and then moved one of the control points to the other corner of the cube

z1.PNG

Message 3 of 16
mark2t
in reply to: carl_bass

Thanks for pointing that out.

I must say that this a a really clunky method of doing this. I really don't like that you have to project 3D geometry into the sketch to get entities to snap to them. Using the move tool takes extra steps, especially when initially moving spline tangent handles. You move one, then have to release the move tool to expose a tangent handle at the other end of the spline, then reinvoke the move tool to move it. Not smooth at all. The move tool in 3D should be always active in that I should be able to move entities once created as I highlight them. There are also no constraints for along the x,y,or z, axis, or normal or parallel to planes. Also can't seem to be able to add dimensions to entities in 3D space.

Message 4 of 16
jakefowler

Hi,

If you're snapping to existing model entities, you shouldn't actually need to project them into the sketch. Once you have the preference option enabled, Fusion 360 will infer snap points as you hover over existing model geometry. For example, hovering over an edge should let you snap 3D sketches to the endpoints, midpoint or an arbitrary point on the edge (the same can be done for the midpoint of a face):

snapping.png

Is this working for you? If not, this is something we'll need to look into.

(Note that this snapping works for model geometry, but currently not for sketch geometry outside of the current sketch - we do already have a development task on the list to support this too).

You're correct that dimensions can't be applied to 3D sketch curves at the moment. And your thoughts on constraints, moving & tangent handle selection are all very reasonable. We certainly don't disagree that there's more work to be done here! Were the issues you described what you see as the most significant limitations at the moment?

If you have time to post some of your requests to the IdeaStation, that would be awesome. There might also being existing ideas that are worth adding kudos too; for example, Claas posted one item which expressed similar ideas about accessing tangent handles:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-ideastation-request-a/3d-sketch-interface-confusing/idi-p/5...

Really appreciate your feedback on this, and any ideas yourself & others can give us here will definitely help us in planning for future developments.

Kind regards,
Jake

Jake Fowler
Principal Experience Designer
Fusion 360
Autodesk

Message 5 of 16
Oceanconcepts

And, to address your first issue of not being able to find access to the tool, I have an idea in "the station"  to place the toggle for 3D sketching in.... wait for it.... the SKETCH menu!  Smiley Wink

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-ideastation-request-a/a-suggestion-for-a-ui-improvement-reg...

My feeling is that accessing through preferences is too deeply buried in the interface. I find I would like to be able to toggle 3D sketching on and off frequently and easily in the course of drawing. 

Older ideas tend to get buried and lost. If you filter the idea Station for 3D sketch you will see many good suggestions. The ability to constrain movement to the X, Y, or Z axis would be a big help. 

- Ron

Mostly Mac- currently M1 MacBook Pro

Message 6 of 16
jakefowler
in reply to: Oceanconcepts

Thanks Ron - you're spot-on that this is too hidden at the moment. In fact we're already working on some bigger changes to make sketch options more easily accessible, and the 3D sketching toggle is certainly part of this: in the early versions I've seen, this toggle is already much easier to access. Hopefully these changes will be with you soon 🙂

We'll be sure to discuss X/Y/Z constraints, as well as the other requests from mark2t. Any more suggestions for sketching productivity improvements very welcome indeed.

And sorry about IdeaStation requests getting buried; we are continually re-jigging our site & review process to try and avoid this happening, but we're still figuring out the best formula. Rest assured that our team looks into every suggestion!

Jake

Jake Fowler
Principal Experience Designer
Fusion 360
Autodesk

Message 7 of 16
bliuewater2222

How can I create dimesions on a 3D sketch or model? I can only define two axis dimensions. How can I showcase a drawing wtihout being able to add dimensions to all sides of a box?

Message 8 of 16
promm
in reply to: bliuewater2222

@bliuewater2222,

Below is a link to a screencast that shows the recommend workflow.  I start by creating two sketches using dimensioned sketch points on different plans.  I then create a third sketch drawing lines between the points, making sure that 3D sketch is checked in the sketch pallet.

http://autode.sk/1S9sLao

Cheers,

Mike Prom

Message 9 of 16
bliuewater2222
in reply to: promm

Little confusing - however, so was my query...

I am looking to sketch a 1" x 2" aluminum tubing that is 60" in length... Then call out dimensions for all three values. So, pull out a dimension that is 1", pull out a dimension that is 2", then pull out a dimension that is 60". The problem is that when I extrude the box/sketch to 60" there is no way to pull out the extruded dimension - only the 1" and the 2" lengths.

Message 10 of 16

I have enclosed a screen shot of what I am trying to do. PLEASE HELP! : )

Message 11 of 16

I have enclosed a screen shot of what I am trying to do. PLEASE HELP! : )

Message 12 of 16

1 x 2" aluminum tubing, 1/8" interior wall, many lengths to make up the structure for shelving...

Message 13 of 16
promm

@bliuewater2222,

Below are links to my suggested workflow.  First I used you image as a canvas so that I could reference your dimensions.  I then created a simplified version of your sketch.  Next I made an offset plane, projected the first sketch and then connected the points.

http://autode.sk/1W9pI00

Next I created a sketch with the profile with the dimensions you gave me.  With both files saved I can then inset the profile into the model with the 3D sketch.   After the sketch file is inserted I break the link, activate the component and then extrude.  Repeat these steps for each segment.

http://autode.sk/1on3gWC

Cheers,

Mike Prom

Message 14 of 16
bliuewater2222
in reply to: promm

Thank you - what I am trying to do is create a single 1 x 2 aluminum tubing, then make it any length/rotation so I can copy and paste it, change the lengths, and basically build the master frame and others just like it. The videos you showed had multiple steps and maybe since I am a newbie it is harder to understand, however, if there is an easier way let me know. On the final note, the biggest thing I am seeking has not been addressed in the video - at the end there are no dimensions added - only a 3D model of the tubing extruded in two directions. Where are the dimensions?

Message 15 of 16
promm

@bliuewater2222,

The technique that I show of inserting a sketch and extruding it to the distance of the dimension from the other sketch is the same workflow as inserting a extruded piece and shortening it.  The dimensions do no go away, you edit the sketches to make changes as shown in the video below.  If you are looking for a document use for manufacturing, you will want to create a drawing.  In the drawing you dimension the model with critical dimensions.  

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/6b7c3281-b3de-4327-b79b-b35cde592de0

Please visit our learning site for additional learning materials.

http://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/learn-training-tutorials?mktvar002=662996&utm_medium=pro...

Cheers,

Mike Prom

Message 16 of 16
matthewcarven
in reply to: jakefowler

Definately want easier sketching in 3d, i expect ctrl alt and shift to lock the 3 axis individually so your perspective relative to any 'object' isnt counted against ya and you can easily tell which point your moving and across its axis.

Thanks for awesome software.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report