Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change polygon creation parameters later in time?

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
AK_Eric
8733 Views, 15 Replies

How to change polygon creation parameters later in time?

I've created a polygon via Sketch -> Polygon, setting some exacting dimensions (say, 50mm diameter).

I've worked for a while, then realized the polygon is the incorrect size:  I need to resize it to 40mm.

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to do this:  I can go back in time, RMB on my sketch and "edit" it, but I can find nothing that will then let me resize my polygon accurately via the creation parameters.  I presume this is doable?  And if not, what is the workaround?

I am new to all this so I could be missing something obvoius, but my searching hasn't turned up anything.

thanks!

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: AK_Eric

What happens when you double click on the sketch dimension and change it?

Message 3 of 16
AK_Eric
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

Is that the smallish pentagon icon in the middle of it?  Seemingly nothing:  I figured that'd be the access point, but it just seems to change selection modes.

Message 4 of 16
JDMather

@EricPavey wrote:

I've created a polygon via Sketch -> Polygon, setting some exacting dimension....

From the continued discussion - I am wondering if you added a parametric dimension.

Dimension Hex.PNG

Do you see a Sketch Dimension?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 16
AK_Eric

I made a new circle, finished the sketch, then went back to "edit" it, and I was able to double-click the dimension and edit it.

But on my polygon, there is no option to do that:  I see a pentagon icon right by its center pivot, but double-cliking it doesn't do anything (like before) : In addition, there are no dimension values drawn near it as in the above screenshot.

As an experiment I made a new Sketch->polygon, completed the sketch.  Then went back to edit it, and again, there seems to be no way to edit it's creation dimensions:  There is a pentagon icon, but double-clicking doesn' do anything, nor are there any dimensions by it.

Message 6 of 16
TheCADWhisperer

Add the dimension yourself.  It is in the Sketch tools.

Message 7 of 16
AK_Eric

I understand now, I got that working, thanks:  Still learning 🙂  

Which leads to my next quesion:  It seems to resize it based on an arbitrary vertex, rather than the center of the poly:  I need to keep it centered, just bigger:  Easy way to do that too?

Message 8 of 16
TheCADWhisperer

Project Geometry the Origin Center Point and then add a Coincident constraint to the origin.

Probably need to add a vertical or horizontal constraint to one of the sides as well.

Message 9 of 16
AK_Eric

That sounds great, but unfortuately I'm not familiar enough with the software to actually do it: I've been looking online for good "project geometry" tutorials (or even real documentation on those functions) and am not really coming up with anything that relates to my issue.  I the "Sketch -> Project -> Project" item, but nothing happens.  No dialogs come up, nothing prompts me to do anything.  You mention using the origin center point, but my polygon is nowhere near the origin.

Used Maya for 14 years now, but I feel like I'm bumbling in the dark here.  Appreciate the help.

Message 10 of 16
nryan

I'm in the same boat - would love some images to show how this is accomplished.
Message 11 of 16
eyashin
in reply to: nryan

I was experiencing a similar problem-- it just doesn't seem to show up in the parameter editing section. Don't know if this is just some kind of formality to polygons. Anyway, if you are in a situation like me, where the polygon is on top of something cutting a hole or whatever, using the sketch pallet quickly make it parallel with some line that is perfectly vertical/horizontal. Then you can use the sketch dimension tool to properly select the radius or diameter of the polygon, and dimension it from there. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Screen Shot 2016-04-05 at 11.59.32 AM.png

Message 12 of 16

This is bad
Message 13 of 16

@dustin.nolaNAJ4W wrote:
This is bad

Do you have a question or can you elaborate on what exactly is bad ?

Peter Doering
Message 14 of 16

Hi. I have the exact same problem..and don't really understand the solution posted here.

This is what I try:

1.) I create a polygon ...set it at the time of construction to 10mm.

2.) I copy this polygon..and now want to make it 8mm...however..now the option to change it no longer exists.

3.) I try pressing D for dimension to adjust a side...but this only changes  one line of the polygon.

4) I'll go back to changing the polygons manually one by one now.....but it certainly does seem quite a complicated thing to change retrospectively..and the sort of the thing that really confuses us beginners! Thanks for any tips!

Message 15 of 16

Hi,

please create a new thread

günther

Message 16 of 16

So how did you copy the original polygon?

Window select all including the polygon icon, works as expected here.

Edit either dimension while the polygon icon exists will keep it's properties.

hdyctp.PNG

Might help.....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report