Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I flip/reverse a body/compoment?

29 REPLIES 29
SOLVED
Message 1 of 30
autodesk
83075 Views, 29 Replies

How can I flip/reverse a body/compoment?

I imported a component that was a stp, but I need it to be reversed.  I tried doing a negative scale, but that didn't work.  Any ideas?

29 REPLIES 29
Message 2 of 30
SallyYang
in reply to: autodesk

"Mirror" may help you to flip/reverse the body/component?

Regards,
Sally

Sally Yang
Software QA Engineer
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 30
autodesk
in reply to: SallyYang

But with mirror, I get 2 mirrored bodies.  I just want the one body mirrored and not the original one.

Message 4 of 30
luke.wilson59

I too am looking for a solution to this conundrum.

Message 5 of 30

The answer was already provided.

Imported geometry by default is imported in direct modeling mode. Simply mirror the body and delete the original. Then you can turn on the timeline, but I personally would not.

Peter Doering
Message 6 of 30

Thank you for your answer. I already knew this method but an answer that would have helped me would've been how a model (, either imported or not,) could be flipped without then having two copies as you would if you used 'mirror'. From what you, (and others have said in this forum post,) have said, I've deduced that there is currently no such function in Fusion 360. I'll put in a suggestion to the IdeaStation once I get time. For the meantime though I'll have to use the method that you outlined above. Thank you for your time.

🙂

Message 7 of 30
AmishSolanki

It would be nice to have a option to flip the original body to maintain CAM toolpaths
SS CADCAM - www.sscadcam.com
@sscadcam
Message 8 of 30
gavdownes

Brand new to Fusion myself so I will probably word things badly. For me I highlighted the object in question in the browser itself and selected Move/Copy. 'Move Type' was set to Free Move. I could then select the arc plane which I wanted to rotate it at. 
Oddly, the first few times I tried this, I couldn't do it. I think it just came down to accuracy of where I was selecting to rotate at

Message 9 of 30
robinwkurtz

If you can find out the width of the body/component you can select it and perform a move/copy. Within this feature you can flip 180degs and move it back into position with a -(width).

Worked for me as I had simple body based on an extrude of a sketch so I could easily measure the sketch width.

Best of luck! 

Message 10 of 30
BrainSlugs83
in reply to: robinwkurtz

Rotating 180 degrees isn't the same as flipping it. 😞

Message 11 of 30

Did you read through all the replies and still did not find a solution that works  ?

Peter Doering
Message 12 of 30
pgrove604
in reply to: TrippyLighting

I managed to do this, somewhat laboriously. First I did a move copy with the bottom right edge of the component selected. This allowed me to rotate it 90 degrees so that it was standing on end. Next I did another move copy and slid the component left to where I wanted it. Then I did a third move copy with the new bottom right edge selected and rotated it 90 degrees once again. It now seems to be on the plane in its new orientation. So, rotate, slide, rotate. It would be a lot nicer to have a "horizontal flip" command...

Message 13 of 30
g-andresen
in reply to: pgrove604

Hi Paul,

I'm guessing other tools like "mirror" might help you better.

To know this, it would be good if you would show your process in a screencast once.

regards

günther

Message 14 of 30

One method I use that works pretty well is the align command. You can select the face of the body, then align it to a another part at the same position (you may have to create a construction plane at the same position if you dont have another body at that position). Once aligned, there is a "flip" command that will flip the part over on that plane

Message 15 of 30

Being able to Scale by -1 would give you a mirror without the copy, but you are not allowed a negative number when scaling, but you can edit the scale and enter -1 in parameters. So first setup a non uniform scale from the point you want to mirror from, leave all factors at 1. Now open parameters and edit one of the factors to -1, body should be mirrored without creating a copy.

image.png

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 16 of 30
mikee4FCYW
in reply to: HughesTooling

Excellent answer and perfectly clear. Thanks!

Message 17 of 30

This doesnt work when you import a file to edit.  only works when you have a f360 file or something you built. 

Novice Fusion 360 user: Geetech A10M 3d printer owner
Message 18 of 30

@Bloodygoodbloke wrote:

This doesnt work when you import a file to edit.  only works when you have a f360 file or something you built. 

@Bloodygoodbloke  It will work but you have to enable history after you import the file. Parameters are only available in designs with history enabled.

image.png

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 19 of 30
kuba.czepulonis

What you need to do is:

1. Mirror as new body

2. Copy that new body from the browser

3. Create new component in the browser

4. Paste that body into created component 

5. Remove (don't delete otherwise you have yellow warnings) not needed components

Message 20 of 30
TrippyLighting

This is indeed very cool!

This could be used and extended to create something like the panel gap tool in Autodesk Alias.

Peter Doering

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report