Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Holes evenly spaced on a circle, but under an angle to the surface

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
dabit20
3688 Views, 9 Replies

Holes evenly spaced on a circle, but under an angle to the surface

Hi,

I am a hobbyist with a small CNC mill and new to Fusion360. I am trying to figure out if this software is something for me or if I should continue using a Solidworks I have access to but which I do not own. 

Playing around I was impressed, but the lack of written documentation is a major disadvantage. Having to watch 30 minutes of video hoping that the problem you want solved is addressed just doesn't work well for me.

Well, my first issue: I would like to create a few evenly spaced holes on a circle. The catch: these holes must be under a 15-degree angle with the surface, thus 'pointing to the center of the circle'.

How does one do this in Fusion360? I tried creating a plane under a 15-degree angle, a point on the surface, and an axis through the point and perpendicular to the plane, but so far I have not succeeded.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: dabit20

I would use the same method in Fusion that I would use in SolidWorks.

Can you attach your *.f3d file here?

Message 3 of 10
dabit20
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

Sure, here is the f3d file. Please mind that this is the imported .sldprt. I also attached a few images of the parts milled on my hobby mill (CNC-converted BF20/G0704 Chinese mill)

[edit]

Posting complains: 'The contents of the attachment doesn't match its file type.'

Here is an external link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2762301/Zas_bodemplaat-V1.f3d

[/edit]

In Solidworks I created a triangular surface in the center of the big hole, added a draft angle, drew points on the circle where I wanted the holes to enter the stock, created axes perpendicular to the surface and coincident with the points, and used those axes to cut/extrude a hole. I didn't manage to replicate this in Fusion. But I am not very fluent in 3D CAD anyway.

I already have the part, but it is so typical for most of the things I do that I think it is a good learning experience trying to recreate it and put it through CAM360. Most of the parts I create are fairly simple prismatic parts. Contour here, pocket there, few threaded holes, etc. Nothing that cannot be done in pure 2D, but being able to create an assembly of parts, see it fit together, and then mill them one by one saves a lot of 'oops'.

Message 4 of 10
TheCADWhisperer

To attach part files here right click on the file name and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Attach the resulting *.zip file(s) here.  I can read *.sldprt and *.f3d files.  The *.sldprt file would be preferred as I could then demonstrate the same technique in fusion.

That appears to be simple geometry.

Message 5 of 10

Hi there is something like this that you pertend to do?

best

Message 6 of 10
dabit20
in reply to: rishivadher

No, I was trying to create a hole under a 15 degrees angle with the surface in such a way that they point to the same spot.

Maybe a little explanation what this part does, that always helps. I am building a new CNC machine from scratch, and this part contains the mist cooler nozzles. These nozzles have an adjustment range of 35 degrees, which is insufficient when using short endmills. Solution: angle the holes a bit, and the adjustment range is offsetted towards -20/+50 degrees, which is plenty.

Here are a few pictures in case you are interested:

http://www.icecoldcomputing.com/misc/Zas_bodemplaat3.png

http://www.icecoldcomputing.com/misc/portaalfrees_Zasbodemplaat_sproeimondje.jpg

http://www.icecoldcomputing.com/misc/portaalfrees_Zasneus1.jpg

http://www.icecoldcomputing.com/misc/portaalfrees_Zasneus2.jpg

I already made the part, but as an exercise I tried to recreate it in Fusion since except for the 'angles holes' it is indeed a very simple part, perfectly suitable for my first baby steps.

Message 7 of 10
TheCADWhisperer

I already made the part, but as an exercise I tried to recreate it in Fusion since except for the 'angles holes' it is indeed a very simple part, perfectly suitable for my first baby steps.  

I didn't see your *.f3d file - so I had to start from scratch using the SWx example.

It looked to me like maybe the SWx user did too much work - so I simplified the process a bit.  (see attached *.f3d file)  (it also could have been done the same way as in SWx, but I try to avoid work)

Angled Holes.PNG

focus.PNG

This is pretty much how I would set it up on my milling machine.  You used flat bottom holes rather than 118° drill points - so that is what I used.

Message 8 of 10
dabit20

The SW user who created the original is not so fluent in using SW either Smiley Wink

[edit]

I am still in a sort of 'try to avoid CAD when possible' mode, and this drawing was more or less a mindmap to see how things would fit together, and I stopped drawing as soon as I had enough information to just make it. Features such as the line lasers appeared in the process because I realised I had a couple of them gathering dust. I can mill such a plate by writing some G code and call some subroutines I have written before much faster than I can draw it up in CAD and pull it through CAM. But I am beginning to see the benefits of 3D CAD, and Fusion360 seems to support the 'how does it fit together' creative process quite well. 

I also see that you added another image

[/edit]

But this is exactly what I was looking for. I do understand what you did and why, except for one thing: what method did you use to create Plane1?

Message 9 of 10
TheCADWhisperer

There are several additional plane creation methods under the workplane drop down.

I selected the construction line in the sketch and the top plane to create a workplane through the construction line at a 90° angle to the top plane.

Designing an assembly is where 3D really starts to prove it's value, especially if there is kinematics that needs to be tested.

Message 10 of 10
dabit20

I selected the construction line in the sketch and the top plane to create a workplane through the construction line at a 90° angle to the top plane.

Sorry for being stupid, but how did you do that / what plane creation option did you pick from the menu? I can replicate the plane by using 'Plane at Angle', selecting the line and setting the rotation correctly. But none of the other options seems to allow creation of a plane coincident with a given line and perpendicular to a given flat face?

Designing assemblies is the main reason why I'm doing some effort to learn 3D CAD. I drew my new CNC mill in CAD also to fit everything. Saves a lot of 'oops'.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report