Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hole Snapping Bug?

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
O.Tan
700 Views, 12 Replies

Hole Snapping Bug?

I noticed this odd behaviour which I'm not sure if it's considered a bug or not. 

When using the hole command, if I were to click and drag the hole, it'll only snap on existing center point of a thru circle but if I were to draw a sketch and place a point, click and drag will not work, I can only click on the sketch point to position the hole accordingly, click and drag the hole will not position it. Not sure if it's a bug but I find the experience to be inconsistent?

https://screencast.autodesk.com/Embed/2fba3789-f34b-4a32-81c8-f8a9cc5fa3cb

Omar Tan
Malaysia
Mac Pro (Late 2013) | 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5 | 12GB 1.8 GHz DDR3 ECC | Dual 2GB AMD FirePro D300
MacBook Pro 15" (Late 2016) | 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 16GB 2.1 GHz LPDDR3 | 4GB AMD RadeonPro 460
macOS Sierra, Windows 10

Tags (1)
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
SallyYang
in reply to: O.Tan

Thanks for reporting this issue and providing us the detail description with video.

It's a snap bug when Click&Drag the hole to reposition the center. I've filed a bug to development team to track your feedback and we will fix it in future releases.

Regards,
Sally

Sally Yang
Software QA Engineer
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 13
dejun.chen

This is as designed. When place a hole on plane or face, you can drag the hole originon this plane/face because the origin is not fully defind.  But when you place a hole on a sketch point, the hole origin is already define. so we do not support draging the hole origin

Message 4 of 13
O.Tan
in reply to: dejun.chen

I'm not sure if you've watched the vid I sent properly, as placing the hole via click and drag will snap onto the centre of the existing extruded circle but it'll not snap onto the sketch point.

I know it'll snap if I click on the point, but if I were to click and drag the hole to the sketch point, it'll not snap. Which is odd cause clicking on the point will "snap" the hole, but click and drag doesn't

Omar Tan
Malaysia
Mac Pro (Late 2013) | 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5 | 12GB 1.8 GHz DDR3 ECC | Dual 2GB AMD FirePro D300
MacBook Pro 15" (Late 2016) | 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 16GB 2.1 GHz LPDDR3 | 4GB AMD RadeonPro 460
macOS Sierra, Windows 10

Message 5 of 13
yihua.mo

Hi Tan,

Thank you for your report. we have confirmed this is a bug. The "drag to reference" and "click reference" action behavior is inconsistent.

Message 6 of 13
dejun.chen

Hi Tan,

Sorry, I misunderstood your meaning. What you mean is not placing a hole, but selecting hole reference. When place a hole on a face, it will support snap the key points on the face as reference. This is usually achieved by click or drag. Here you can snap a sketch point by click, but can not by drag. This is the bug. perhaps we need to forbid sanping a sketch point as reference. We will fix this. Thank you for reporting this.

Daniel

Message 7 of 13
Lonnie.Cady

Not sure if this is related but I am having no luck at all with the hole tool.  I can place a hole on a face of a box and can't seem to select the edges to add references.  I deceided to create a sketch point and snap the hole to the sketch point.  I went back and edited the sketch point and the hole did not stay with the sketch point.

Message 8 of 13
dejun.chen
in reply to: Lonnie.Cady

I don't know why you can't select the edges as reference when place a hole on a face. Could you please send me your model?

We usually can select one or two edges as the references.

Hole reference.jpg

The snapping to a sketch point is just a UI behavior which is not assiciated. That's why you see the hole didn't stay with the sketch point.

In other words, it's the bug we talk about which I said may need to forbid this behavior(snappin to sketch point).

Thanks,

Daniel

Message 9 of 13
Lonnie.Cady

Well now I am getting it to work just fine, so I will have to assume the probem was just me 🙂

Message 10 of 13
O.Tan

Hmm, if I'm not mistaken, if I were to draw a sketch point and "snap" a hole to it, it'll move when I reposition the sketch point. Which is great as this allows me to sort of have a sketch where all the holes is drawn and I'm able to reposition the holes just by moving my sketch points. 

The issue that I have is that, when creating a hole, I can't click and drag to snap onto the sketch point, but I can click and drag to snap onto existing extruded round profiles. To me, it's just an inconsistent UI behaviour.

Get what I mean? 

Omar Tan
Malaysia
macOS Sierra, Windows 10

Message 11 of 13
O.Tan

Sometimes, if the hole is too close to the edge, it'll fail to find reference, what you can do is to move the hole slightly farther away and it should be able to find the reference. Hope this helps

Omar Tan
Malaysia
macOS Sierra, Windows 10

Message 12 of 13
Lonnie.Cady

Thanks I bet that was my problem.  However, the face that it was on was not much bigger than the hole on any sides so I guess I could not get far enough from the edge to get it to work.

Message 13 of 13
O.Tan

Yeah, there's a certain distance to get it to work and doesn't matter if the hole face isn't that much bigger then the hole, you can always drag the hole out of the face to make it "far" enough 😉

Omar Tan
Malaysia
macOS Sierra, Windows 10

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report