Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Component moves to Stick

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
mark2t
271 Views, 3 Replies

Getting Component moves to Stick

How do get Component moves to stick? I'm making a chess set to learn teh basics of 360 and find this aspect of the move command completely frustrating. I've used the move componet tool to move the queen away from the king by 75mm. When I right click on the top of the design tree to make "New Component" the queen goes and snaps back to the origin. Making the components a Rigid Group after moving them snaps them back to origin; I'm assuming because it's aligning their origins. This is not the way other CAD programs deal with moving components in assemblies. In those programs, those components stay where you put them until they are constrained. Both SolidWorks and Creo allow you to 'Fix" components where they lay, without worrying about creating mates. Why doesn't 360 allow this?

Or as an alternative, why can't "Move Component" end up as a feature in the timeline?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
keqingsong
in reply to: mark2t

When you move a component, and because it is a component and not just a body, you have to ability to capture that move by clicking on the Snapshot icon. This will record that move in the timeline. now when you create a new component, the moved ones will stay in place. 

Here is a good example of this in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHL8xvC3W1c&list=PLmA_xUT-8UlJjXkVwdduZ3PCgJMPEGRbU&index=14

Does this help? 

Keqing Song
Autodesk Fusion Community Manager
Portland, Oregon, USA

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider

Message 3 of 4
mark2t
in reply to: keqingsong

Thanks, So far that seems to do the trick.

Message 4 of 4
O.Tan
in reply to: mark2t

When you work in History Modelling, each time you move a feature or have motion links to reposition the feature, you'll need to create a new snapshot or else it'll revert back to its previous location. Snapshots will be added into the timeline, so it's possible to do a few different positions and then move the timeline marker to the position you want.

If you work in Direct Modelling mode AKA selecting the "do not capture design history", then you do not have to snapshot the model each time you move something. Though you'll also lose your design history.

Hope this helps.

Omar Tan
Malaysia
Mac Pro (Late 2013) | 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5 | 12GB 1.8 GHz DDR3 ECC | Dual 2GB AMD FirePro D300
MacBook Pro 15" (Late 2016) | 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 16GB 2.1 GHz LPDDR3 | 4GB AMD RadeonPro 460
macOS Sierra, Windows 10

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report