Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting block to align with X and Y

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
MartySmith79
306 Views, 8 Replies

Getting block to align with X and Y

Im a total newbie at this but have used CAMBAM with great sucess. I need to mke a black with carefuly spaces holes frilled in it and would like to model it in AF360. How do I get the corners to align to the dead center (where X and Y intersect)?

Also, how do I change the size of the part on screen? After putting in my dimentions it filled the screen and was pretty much useless after that. None of the tutorials seem to address this, most even start with a beautifully rendered part and make minor tweakes to it that doesnt address my problems at all.

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Can't to a screencast at the moment as my machine is occupied by a world of Warcraft junkie ( Kids these days 🙂
1. create an empty component
2. activate the componet in the browser ( littel radio button to the right of the component name). everything created afterwards is part of that component.
3. Create sketch for base extrusion ( rectangle for block in desired location) and extrude.
4. Right click on the component in the browser and select "ground". This fill fix the component in place and you cannot move it by accident.
4. Create a hole with reference dimensions on the top surface.
5. Create hole pattern with desired spacing.
Peter Doering
Message 3 of 9
Jamesa_123D
in reply to: MartySmith79

Hey martySmith79

There is an align tool that can help you get your part where you need it to be.  Select align from the modify menu, select the area of the part you want aligned, then select where you want it aligned to ( in this cas the x/y orgin.   You may need to play with the align tool a bit to get it figured out.  

There is also a scale feature in the modify drop down that can help you with getting your part to the correct size.  

There is always ctrl-z or the history features at the bottom if you make a mistake (such as entering the wrong dimensions and having the part fill the screen!)

Best of luck

ImmersedN3D
Message 4 of 9

1. What do you mean by "create a new component? I just need a simple box and woud like the 0'0 to be at the bottom left corner. WHen I try to do this the same way Ive done in CAMBAM, none of the same prompts are there.

2. Whats an empty component?

3.Im going to see if I can figure this out but none of the videa tutorials seems to start at the beginning. I need to learn how to make parts starting from step 1.

Thanks,

Marty

Message 5 of 9
MartySmith79
in reply to: Jamesa_123D

The part is only 5"x6"x2", yet it fills the screen. Ive entered the dimentions correctly ( I think, some really basic tutorials would be nice). ut it fills the screen and becomes virtually useless since I cant see what im doing. If im making some kind of mistake, how would I know?

And if I scale the part, wont that change the dimentions?

Message 6 of 9

Hi Marty,

I understand your frustration! if no one beats me to it I'll make a littel mini tutorial later today, it may not before the evening.
Peter Doering
Message 7 of 9
Jamesa_123D
in reply to: MartySmith79

You can zoom out using the mouse wheel if the part becomes too large and
fills the screen. Yes, scale would indeed change the dimensions.
ImmersedN3D
Message 8 of 9

Here's a screencast.

Let us know if you have more questions!

Peter Doering
Message 9 of 9
karyeka
in reply to: Jamesa_123D

Hi Marty,

Sorry about your experience. Surely, that's a feedback for our learning resources.

Here is a simple video of creating a 5"x6"x2" box with left corner on origin - View Box at origin in inches now.

Alternatively, as suggested above, you can start from sketch as well, which you can go back and edit to add holes or other things later - View box in inches wth sketch now.

Please refer to our learning resource on components at - 

http://help.autodesk.com/cloudhelp/ENU/Fusion-Function/files/GUID-E37B0456-A867-429F-BF69-6A4626DD31...

You can create components and add bodies, sketches, work geometry to it or you can create components from already created bodies. http://help.autodesk.com/cloudhelp/ENU/Fusion-Function/files/GUID-C1D4C0D8-2695-4D88-8E90-2FF85B4FD4...

Also, please refer to http://help.autodesk.com/cloudhelp/ENU/Fusion-Function/files/GUID-5AE0AFB3-47D1-42D9-AB63-FC9A94502F...

If possible, can you also elaborate what this part is for, what designs you would want to do?

I hope this helps, let us know, we are glad to support.

Thanks,

Anand

Fusion360 Development

Anand Karyekar

Forge Graphics

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report