Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fusion 360 Ultimate - Problem with Boss Extrussion

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
quaverf
420 Views, 2 Replies

Fusion 360 Ultimate - Problem with Boss Extrussion

Encountering a problem extruding a boss from a simple 2D sketch.  My desire is to extrude the boss from the surface of an existing component and have the boss be joined to the existing component.  I have tried to do this simple procedure several ways. Saved and closed the model, re-opened but no change.  Closed Fusion and reopened but no change.  Tried extruding from other areas of the base component, same result. Tried creating the 2D sketch directly on the surface of the component (without reference construction plane), no luck. For some reason it would seem Fusion will now not allow new features to be joined to this component.

https://screencast.autodesk.com/Embed/Timeline/317e55f7-4ad5-428c-ba69-cdd8769fa9c2

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
quaverf
in reply to: quaverf

Was finally able to extrude the boss and have it join with the component named "Frame".  Frame is a component within another component named "Hand".  I had activated "Hand", created the zero-offset plane and on this plane created the 2D sketch from which I was trying to extrude-join the boss to "Frame".  I activated "Frame", created an offset plane and sketch and the extrude worked as expected, joined to the base component "Frame".  Interesting nuance when working with nested components.

Message 3 of 3
jeff_strater
in reply to: quaverf

Yes, that is the main way to do this.  The other approach is to keep "Hand" activated as you have in your screencast, but while the Extrude command is active, you can also temporarily activate "Frame" as a way to indicate that you really want to join to the Frame component:

extrude join bug.png

After you OK the Extrude, it will return to having Hand as the active component.

Jeff Strater (Fusion development)

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report