Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fusion 360 Crashing on 2009 Mac Pro

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
rolandoc
969 Views, 11 Replies

Fusion 360 Crashing on 2009 Mac Pro

Hi,

I get a lot of crashes when I switch to rendering mode as well as when I enlarge my window to full size. I am using a 2009 8-Core Mac Pro with 32 gigs of ram and 500 megs of VRam. I often have to work with a very small window to avoid crashes which defeats the purpose of having a 30 inch monitor.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Phil.E
in reply to: rolandoc

What is your video card spec?

What version of OSX?

Also, I don't see any recent CER reports from you. The last one was from May. Please fill out these when you get them. It helps tremendously.

Thanks for your help!

CER_reporting.png

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 12
Oceanconcepts

I have seen much the same on my 27" iMac, and suspect it is related to having only 500 meg v-ram, and/or the 2009 era video card. I can't work in full screen, or even with a large window, and have stability. Reports are that improvements to Mac video efficiency are coming in the update Tuesday. 

Phil- if his experience is like mine, the application starts misbehaving and locks up, requiring a force quit. The CER window never comes up in these instances. That's about 95% of the crashes for me. 

- Ron

Mostly Mac- currently M1 MacBook Pro

Message 4 of 12
Phil.E
in reply to: Oceanconcepts

Usually it has more to do with small video cards running large monitors.

I can make my MacBook Air with Intel HD 3000 graphics onboard run a 28" UHD monitor. It does just fine until it doesn't. 🙂

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 12
Oceanconcepts
in reply to: Phil.E

In my case it's the built in monitor, and Fusion worked fine, graphics-wise, running full screen until the last product update, when these issues around graphics suddenly came up for lots of folks. 

- Ron

Message 6 of 12
Phil.E

What is your graphics card model/memory?

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 12
Oceanconcepts

Phil,

Like the OP, I'm on a 2009 era Mac. ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB- since the last update, this has not been sufficient to run Fusion in a full sized window. 

- Ron

Message 8 of 12
Phil.E

Yes the update should address this.

In the meantime, have you tried reducing video pressure via these methods?

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-fusion/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles...

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 12
Oceanconcepts

Yep, none of the changes suggested there seemed to have much effect, except that unless anti-aliasing is turned off, Fusion is completely unusable regardless of window size. Reducing the window size seems to be the only way I can keep running. Looking forward to the update, for this and other reasons!

- Ron

Message 10 of 12
rolandoc

Thanks for the replys everyone. My Video card is the ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB. I rarely get a submit error report window when Fusion crashes. 95% of the time I lock up and I have to force quit. So far nothing has helped with the Fusion window size. I can only work in a small window. As soon as I enlarge the window I lock up and have to force quit. I can only have the ground plane turned on under effects. Anything else on(ie Ground Shadow, Ground Reflection, Ambient Occlusion, etc) causes sporatic lockups.

Message 11 of 12
DaveMoi

I have a 2013 MacPro with 64GB ram dual D700 and 6 core processor. I'm experiencing the same crashes. For me the app is not usuable at this time. I'm not able to display submenu's either. The app just locks up when I try to select a centered circle for example...

-David

Message 12 of 12
Phil.E
in reply to: DaveMoi

David-

What video card are you using?

Thanks,

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report