Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export as Solid?

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
ggnewton
1938 Views, 11 Replies

Export as Solid?

Hi All,

Has anyone had any luck exporting a solid as a solid?  Igs supports solids, but Fusion360 seems to export solids as surfaces when exporting as .igs or as .step.  Am I just not seeing an export options box?

In the end, I'm trying to get my solid into Solidworks.  Any insight?

Regards,

Greg

Tags (2)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
karyeka
in reply to: ggnewton

Hi Greg,

I exported one of my designs (with a solid) into iges and imported it back into Fusion. The solid came up properly. I'm not able to see your issue. Can you please forward or share your model for us to dig into it further?

Thanks,

Anand

Fusion360 Development

Anand Karyekar

Forge Graphics
Message 3 of 12
ggnewton
in reply to: karyeka

Hi Anand,

Thank you for your reply and sorry for my delay.  Had a meltdown with a Windows8 update that bricked my machine for a few days.

My issue is that when I export as .iges and read into solidworks, it's only seen as surfaces, not as a solid.

What's the best way to fwd my file to you?

Regards,

Greg

Message 4 of 12
karyeka
in reply to: ggnewton

Hi Greg,

sorry to hear about OS meltdown, that sucks!

You can either attach a file here, send it to me privately at anand.karyekar@autodesk.com or invite me to your project online (top right corner has "invite" on the project page of the dashboard) . The data set will help us to dig further.

Thanks,

Anand

Fusion360 Development

Anand Karyekar

Forge Graphics
Message 5 of 12
karyeka

Hi Greg,

Thanks for inviting me to your project. That worked fine.

I did export "Design 2013December28 23:34:33pm." to igs (as you can see from the translation report) and then was able to import it fine (as solid) back in Fusion. I don’t have SW handy but it came fine in Inventor as well. I will ask others in the team to try to import this exported model in SW.

Regards,

Anand

Fusion360 Development

Anand Karyekar

Forge Graphics
Message 6 of 12
jd.ruben

Hi 

Message 7 of 12
ferenc.orban
in reply to: jd.ruben

Could you solve it?

Message 8 of 12

@ferenc.orban wrote:

Could you solve it?

Very  simple to solve.

1. File>Export and then Attach your *.f3d file here.

2. Zip and Attach your resulting *.igs and/or *.stp file here.

And I will create video on how to solve the issue.

Message 9 of 12

hello,  @TheCADWhisperer  i know this thread was active months ago already but can some please help me. i am having exactly the same problem. Whenever I export a .STEP file (or any file format for this matter) from fusion 360 and import it to Ansys Design Modeler, it just becomes a hollow surface. Below are pics of my 3d solid in Fusion.

jslanaERG7J_0-1603878420676.png

jslanaERG7J_1-1603878445905.png

and Here's what it looks like when I am importing it to ANSYS

jslanaERG7J_2-1603878564292.png

jslanaERG7J_3-1603878629229.png

Please help.

Attached is the .f3d of my geometry. TIA

Message 10 of 12
jslanaERG7J
in reply to: ferenc.orban

Has anyone solved this?

Message 11 of 12

This is either a double post or my answer went missing. I imported that part as a STEP file into ZW3D 2020 and SolidWorks 2017 and it imports fine as a solid. As such it is unlikely a Fusion 360 problem.

Peter Doering
Message 12 of 12

this was a double post I'm sorry. I already solved this problem thanks to you help. Cheers!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report