Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engineers Guide to Drinks - TNG

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
tgallyot1
966 Views, 6 Replies

Engineers Guide to Drinks - TNG

I'm musing over an update to "Engineers Guide to Drinks".

As a start, I have modelled a cocktail umbrella using Fusion 360. As a 1st pass, it's good enough for me.

However, I wonder if it is possible to model paper / fabric folds (i.e. joints) with Fusion 360.

Here are some results so far of day one.....

cocktail-umbrella-002_02A.gif

Cocktail-umbrella-D-001LR.jpg

Cocktail-umbrella-D-002LR.jpg

Cocktail-umbrella-001LR.jpg

Cocktail-umbrella-002LR.jpg

Cocktail-umbrella-D-003LR.jpg

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jeff_strater
in reply to: tgallyot1

that's awesome! I love this use of joints.

Sadly, no, we don't yet have any sort of deform-able "joint" or way to drive the shape of a single component, which would be needed to model paper folds. That would be cool, though. Fusion Origami...

Jeff Strater (Fusion development)

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 7
herzinj

Hi tgallyot1,

As Jeff mentioned, we currently do not have this capability, but I think it would make a great idea on the IdeaStation!  Feel free to put it up there and I will certainly vote for it.

Also, would you be able to upload this model to the gallery?  I think the rest of the community would love to see this, especially the fellow drink enthusiasts.  

Keep up the great work!

James

https://damassets.autodesk.net/content/dam/autodesk/logos/autodesk-logo-primary-rgb-black-small_forum.png
Message 4 of 7
cekuhnen
in reply to: herzinj

Material deformation would be nice, but I assume this is an area for a poly animation tool and not something like Fusion.

Pretty awesome joint animation btw!

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

Message 5 of 7
tgallyot1
in reply to: cekuhnen

It was my observation, while reverse engineering the cocktail umbrella, that the joints on the spokes are deformed cardboard material. The shield is paper foil, folded and glued to the spokes. It would be nice to duplicate these conditions in Fusion 360 for a true 'digital prototyping' scenario. As it stands, my model articulation is only a rudimentary approximation of the physical item. I was tempted to start modelling hinges, etc but then it would appear over engineered.

I occassionally prototype / build with foamcore. It would be useful to have a 'tactile' mode (too early to ask for 'super pursuit mode'...Smiley Tongue) where score, fold and bend type actions were possible. This would save on material, serve as instruction, documentation, etc. Actually, Autodesk 123D Make along these lines, is fantastic.

Scaling up the design conditions, I wonder how awnings, canopies, tents, photography 'pop-up' modifiers etc are designed in CAD (digital prototyped).

Message 6 of 7
tgallyot1
in reply to: herzinj

Per your suggestion, I will add a post to IdeaStation.

I'm not confident about uploading the model - at least not in it's current state. Maybe, when I get round to refinement of certain aspects and structure.

Actually, I have been posting to the Autodesk A360 Rendering gallery for some time.

https://rendering-gallery.360.autodesk.com/users/trev-g

The images represent my exploration and attempts at pushing the capability of Fusion 360 (Memento, A360 Rendering, A360 Interactive Rendering). There was some initial discussion with Autodesk for a feature on the WIP Spine Bridge infrastructure I was working on (currently 60m long to real-world constraints. About 100m long on completion). As Autodesk went quiet, I assume no interest. But here are some of the renderings using Fusion 360 & A360 Interactive Beta only:

A360-Int-Rend-20141003-03.jpg

Message 7 of 7
tgallyot1

My WIP of cocktail glass modelled with Fusion 360.

Comparitive rendering using Rendering A360 Interactive is here:

https://rendering-gallery.360.autodesk.com/projects/cocktail-glass-wip-18-12-2014

5000 render iteration within F360:

Cocktail-Glass-003LR.jpg

Cocktail-glass-D-001LR.jpg

Cocktail-Glass-Param-001LR.jpg

Cocktail-Glass-Param-002LR.jpg

Cocktail-Glass-Param-003LR.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report