Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicating or copying components

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
oliverhaas
62758 Views, 5 Replies

Duplicating or copying components

Dear Fusion 360 Community,

I would like to know whether there is a way to duplicate a component in Fusion 360 without maintaining its relationship to the original component? 

Currently, when I copy and past a component, the components receiving the naming convention "Comp: 1" and "Comp: 2". Whenever I make changes to "Comp: 2" (e.g. applying a new texture, or deleting an edge), these changes are applied to the original "Comp: 1" as well. How would I avoid this?

My only current option is to paste the bodies to the top-level design and to create a new component from these. However, this does not allow me to copy things like decals to the new model. 

Many thanks in advance,

-Ollie

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
haughec
in reply to: oliverhaas

Hi Ollie,

There is a "Paste New" option that allows you to paste independent copies of copied components, though it currently pastes them as a Base Feature (you'll lose any feature history associated with the component).  The best way to create an independent component presently is to save a copy of the component using Save Copy As (available from the right-click menu when a component is selected), and then insert that component back into your design (available from the right-click menu when a design is selected in the Data Panel).

Hope this helps.

Charles 

Charles Haughey
Fusion 360 User Experience Architect
Message 3 of 6
mark2t
in reply to: haughec

The "Paste New" option does indeed copy all design history for that new component, but unfortunately loses the history of the component you copied. See the following post for an example of this behaivior.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/sketching-sculpting-modeling-and/disappearing-history/td-p/5420288

Message 4 of 6
OFGLLC

Kudoed you on this solution but when I went to try the Save-Copy, then locate the copy to Insert into the current Design, I can't see it. (empty folder that I put it into)  I know it's there because when I attempt to save-copy it again, I get a replace option.  What am I doing wrong?  Thanks for your consideration

Update:  Never mind, rookie error.  Saved it to a local drive, looked on cloud.  Worked great.

Message 5 of 6
OFGLLC

Last comment.  The second method, apparently like the first does NOT bring the timeline history with it.

Message 6 of 6
Jools-Taylor

Sorry to ressurect this but once you have imported it you need to then expand in the browser section by clicking the arrow then right click and break link. That imports the design history

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report