Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dragging object from my library into new model adds all history

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
ianlee74
186 Views, 4 Replies

Dragging object from my library into new model adds all history

I've built several objects (ex. servo motor, battery holder, etc.) that I use regularly and saved them into my library as individual models.  When I want to build a larger model that contains these smaller objects, I simply drag & drop from the library into my model.  This seems to work great for all but one of my objects.  It throws some errors when it tries to reproduce some of the steps as its adding them to the timeline.  I would rather this operation only appear in my timeline as a single step instead of copying in the entire timeline for the dragged object.  Is this possible?  Can I do this but also keep the full history in the dragged objects model file?  I'm hoping this solves my other problem and makes my timeline more relavent to the new model.

Thanks!

Ian

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Jon.Dean
in reply to: ianlee74

It may bring over the history of the parts but they are collapsed on the timeline, so is fairly neat, you only expand if you need to.

Jon.

Jon Dean

Message 3 of 5
kgrunawalt
in reply to: ianlee74

What you really want is coming soon, but not available yet. We call it X-refs for external references. See mention if X-refs here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/design-differently/the-future-of-collaboration-in-fusion-360/ba-p/5418...

The blog linked above does not go into X-ref detail, but it is basic to the collaboration workflows discussed. An X-ref is an insertion of another file without copying its contents. The link is managed so multiple people can share components. I think that is what you are asking for.

Message 4 of 5
kgrunawalt
in reply to: kgrunawalt

Above I should have said "model" instead of "file". Old habits!

Also, if there are problems/errors when inserting a model today (where the model is copied into the timeline), please let us know the details. It might be a good idea to try this with the latest update in case the issue has already been resolved.
Message 5 of 5
ianlee74
in reply to: kgrunawalt

@kgrunawalt - I think the problem I am seeing is described in this other post I found after starting this one.  I'm still waiting for a response there.  It appears I encountered a bug.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/sketching-sculpting-modeling-and/parts-or-components-quot-falling-apar...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report