Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimension the distance to the edge of a circle

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
fitztrev
10766 Views, 6 Replies

Dimension the distance to the edge of a circle

Attached is an image to show what I currently have. I'd like to have the circle go into rectangle exactly 2.25mm inches.

problem.png

In Inventor, I would select the top rectangle line, then select the bottom-most point of the circle and I could set the distance. In Fusion, I'm not able to do that. I'm only able to dimension to the center point.

workaround.png

The workaround, for now, is to dimension between the centerpoint and the rectangle with a function (= diameter/2 - 2.25). Is there a better way?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
schneik-adsk
in reply to: fitztrev

I use constrcution geometry or points to help in situations like this.

This approach uses a construction line tangent to the circumference and parallel to the rectangle edge:

2015-01-28 08.22.59 am.png

This method uses a point verticel to the center point of the circle and coincident to the circumference:

2015-01-28 08.24.28 am.png

Kevin Schneider
Message 3 of 7
fitztrev
in reply to: schneik-adsk

@schneik: That works great, thanks!
Message 4 of 7

Is there a proper solution to this issue ? Would love to see the dimension tool have a variant which measures to the outside (through a hotkey like SW) . This is a pretty rough step backwards for my workflow. 

Message 5 of 7

A bit late, but for whoever is looking for this:
Ust the distance tool. Select the line and then before you select the circle, right click and set the selection mode to 'Pick Circle/Arc Tangent'

Message 6 of 7
donpaulPC3T5
in reply to: fitztrev

It would be great to have a key press that does this. Solidworks does this. Hold down shift key and it toggles to edge instead of default center point

Message 7 of 7
g-andresen
in reply to: donpaulPC3T5

Hi,

It does not work with Shift but with right-click, as @rened100  has already shown.

pick circle tangent.gif

günther

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report