Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different set of Patch Create Features availible between files

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
casperhofstede
509 Views, 7 Replies

Different set of Patch Create Features availible between files

Not sure how this one happened, I am thinking user error.

I wanted to split up a part using a plane created from a sketch line using the Patch -> Create -> Extrude feature. This worked fine in another file with a similar model. But for some reason in my current file, the whole list Patch -> Create is cut very short. See these two pictures.

How do I get my features back? Smiley Indifferent

patch-create-01.png

patch-create-01.png

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

The list of parametric surfaces is shorter than the Base surfaces.  (It seems they add additional functionality each release).

Simply click on the icon to create a Base feature and then you are good to go.

Fusion Surfaces.png

Message 3 of 8
cekuhnen
in reply to: casperhofstede

I would say in its current form the TL is limited in its usability - while more tools are planed to be added I assume.

Honestly I only use it for fillets and solid (b surface generation) but do not create geometry in the TL and rather use the base features for that.

It would be great if the DM would be more parametric as well.

Lets see what we will get with the next update

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

Message 4 of 8
casperhofstede
in reply to: cekuhnen

Thank you both for replying. With your images I was able to sort it in a minute CADWhisperer! Smiley Wink Some proof / eye candy below.

Now about these features being hidden, I have only started using Fusion360 for about a week, so bear with me. What you both are saying is that when in Design Mode (note sure when and what this is) and I see the timeline, certain features are not availible? Since I am learning to use this program it is kind of worrysome that I might be not seeing certain features that I could be needing.

How are these parametric surfaces different then the Base surfaces is there a good resource / video to learn about this. I am eager to learn and spend time on this, but I am a bit baffled at the moment.

tachi-proto-3-119.png

Message 5 of 8

@casperhofstede wrote:

.... I am eager to learn and spend time on this, but I am a bit baffled at the moment.

We have decided that Fusion is not ready for the classroom yet.  I spent a couple of weeks going through the tutorials and doing some of my prior work from other CAD programs in Fusion and was a bit baffled myself about how it is supposed to be "easy".  I suspect by next year it will look quite different than it does now as they tie everything together and I will have to "unlearn" everything I did this summer.

Having come from an R&D background it is very misleading having "grown-up" with your new baby and understanding how to communicate with it and passing the baby to someone else to understand.  As it matures, I am sure it will communicate with the user much more efficiently.

BTW - nice picture - it looks like you are finding your way around.

Message 6 of 8
cekuhnen
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

I will actually use Fusion 360 in my Industrial Design course but not as a replacement for Alias but more as an assembly solid modeler for tasks such as shelling and T-Spline models.

Too much is still missing between the DM and TL such as fillets and such in DM are not really parametric and I do not see the point in listing such features when they all are not adjustable.

The timeline looks very promising but lacks tools.

Currently I use the TL only for a product assembly and this process works pretty well.

Claas Kuhnen

Message 7 of 8
cekuhnen
in reply to: casperhofstede

The problem for you is, that Fusion is in my opinion not a finished product and not usable for general use because too many tools and options simply are missing resulting into a very inconsistent workflow.

I hope at one point the toolsets between DM and TL will be equal and also features in DM will be really parametric from A to Z.

The CAM and physics engine are rock solid, just modeling in Fusion is still painful.

So when the software works odd keep this in mind.

Claas Kuhnen

Message 8 of 8
scottmoyse
in reply to: cekuhnen

This one caught me out today, I found that by toggling Design History tracking On & Off got them to appear & disappear. Obviously toggling that back & forth is a dangerous game to play. I'll see if I can hunt out the base feature tool mentioned and if it can be combined with history based modelling.

F360 does excite me, but so did Inventor Fusion... which ultimately I really disliked. I can see the eagerness behind this product and want to see it suceed.

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report