Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between Open and Insert in Fusion360 Ultimate

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
589 Views, 11 Replies

Difference between Open and Insert in Fusion360 Ultimate

Hi All,

Can someone explain the difference please between Inserting a model/component and Opening one. I am aware that Insert adds the model to the existing Assembly and Open adds a new unique Tab. The issue for me is that 'Open' always retains the Models material attributes but 'Insert' doesn't in all cases, in fact it can lose them all and default to a bland greyish base material. The small icon on the A360 Browser panel does indicate that the materials are in place, whether that be a texture or colour.

This doesn't always happen so could be my workflow when applying materials to the initial Model but it's definitely causing me issues at the moment. Is there a flag or condition I should be setting on newly created models when materials have been applied ?

LJ

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
josef.kucera
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi LJHFUSCAD,

does this happen on MAC or Windows Fusion to narrowing the problem a little bit?

Josef Kucera

Fusion QA
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: josef.kucera

Solved Josef, as explained in email. Only happens to imported Parts not of Fusion360 origin. Not a problem for me as I'm using Fusion360 as my sole 3D CAD App now.
Message 4 of 12
josef.kucera

Materials of imported models could be a problem for a translation servers if they come from a various software... Please, from which software are originally imported?

Great, I like to hear that you our using our software as a 3D CAD app only...

Josef Kucera

Fusion QA
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

It was an old Part from Solidworks Josef, Solidworks 2006 I think. Can't check as I no longer have access to the sw. Import went very smoothly but materials seemed to take a hit. Could be a problem with the Part material build I guess.

However I can confirm that Bodies built within Fusion are spot-on wrt material assignment/retention.

Message 6 of 12
josef.kucera

Ok, great it works fine within Fusion.

Josef Kucera

Fusion QA
Message 7 of 12
prabakarm

Hi LJ,

We are glad to see you are using Fusion 360 as you sole CAD app.  Would you be willing to share what you do and why you decided to go with Fusion.  We are curious to learn.

Thanks,

Prabakar.

Message 8 of 12
joel.palioca

Hi LJ,

Back to your question about the different between inserting a model/component and opening one.  One specific thing that we do when we insert a file is if the file is a Parametric file we will do a Compute All operation prior to the insert.  This helps us to avoid any issues with files that haven't been computed recently.

Something you can test is if you open the file that your having issues inserting, there should be an option under the modify tab called "Compute All".  If you use the "Compute All" and the file doesn't show the issues you are seeing during insert, please let us know.  We may have to take a look at the file if that is okay with you and see what is happening.  We can let this be step one.  If the "Compute All" causes the same material issue you see we can take a look at that issue since there may be some other ways to resolve that.

Cheers,

[Joel Palioca]
[Software QA Engineer]
Joel(dot)Palioca(at)autodesk(dot)com
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: prabakarm

Not a problem, basically I'm Retired. I was a Programme Director but alas no more…..

Now I build furniture for my own use [non Commercial] and I'm also currently designing a  Watercooled Workstation for Video editing, Adobe CC Apps and MS365 use. F360 is proving invaluable for the 3D visualisations needed, indeed I’ve built [in F360] a scale 3D representation of the entire WS case and contents to aid the building process. For furniture making it will be great for visualising how joints work together and in what situations.

I've been using Sketchup and other trials but F360 quite frankly knocks the spots of them all [in my view]. In fact, although I'm probably classed as an Enthusiast, I'm actually considering subscribing to Fusion360 before Dec 12th. It's such a professional and feature rich product, I think it's the worth investment.

As you know, I don't work for Autodesk, so this isn't a Sales pitch.

Now when can I afford that 3D Printer !!

LJ

Message 10 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: joel.palioca

Hello Joel,

To be honest, it was so easy to rebuild the model from scratch in Fusion, I did just that. The old 3D Parts have been scrapped as I see no point in keeping them anymore. Native builds in F360 have caused me few if any issues, albeit I am working in a none Commercial environment. A steep learning curve as with any multi-layered application but worth the time and trouble.

Superb product, keep up the good work.

Lyndon

Message 11 of 12
joel.palioca

Always appreciate healing feedback thank you.

Glad to hear things are working well for you, please let us know if you run into any other issues or have questions we are here to help. 🙂

Cheers,

[Joel Palioca]
[Software QA Engineer]
Joel(dot)Palioca(at)autodesk(dot)com
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 12 of 12
Anonymous

Hi Josef,

Windows 7 Pro.

I've found that Bodies created solely within Fuision360 [not Parts imported
from other Apps] don't suffer from this material anomaly. No big deal for me
actually, my intent is to concentrate solely on Fusion360.

I'm happy to sign this off as solved,

LJ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report