Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating 3D sketches

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
grn_123
1114 Views, 9 Replies

Creating 3D sketches

Hello everyone,

I have a question about 3D sketches using the spline tool.

I have been following the steps explained in this Youtube video to no avail.

The difference is that in my model, when I use the 'include 3D geometry' tool, some of the points that I select are purple, but I don't know what that means. After I use the tool, I'm not able to select those points when using the spline tool.

Any tips / tutorials?

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
AndrewSears
in reply to: grn_123

Can you attach the part file to this thread?  The first thing I can think of is to make sure you are editing the sketch where you included the 3D geometry. 

The purple colored sketch entities let you know that you projected or included 3D geometry.  

Thanks,

Andy 

Message 3 of 10
jroddds
in reply to: AndrewSears

I am having the same issue. Points in multiple planes. Included 3D geometry but the spline tool only snaps to points in a single plane. Similarly, my points are purple instead of green like the video.
Message 4 of 10
jroddds
in reply to: jroddds

Figured it out.  Forgot to go to Preferences > Allow 3D sketching.

Hope this helps someone else

Message 5 of 10
grn_123
in reply to: jroddds

I haven't tested this solution for myself, but I bet this is my issue as well!

Thanks!

Message 6 of 10
nadovich

It's a pity that YouTube video has about an hour of nonsense mixed in with a few useful facts about 3D sketching. Is there no better resources for learning how to do this?

Message 7 of 10
nadovich

I've been beating my head against 3D sketches for a few days now. I have a few observations about splines that may be useful to others. Feel free to correct any misunderstandings I may have; these observations are the fruit of much pain.

-- First of all, I hope you like clicking your mouse. Every operation in 3D spline editing takes a few zillion mouse clicks.

.. The number one thing to learn is that spline points and handles don't just move, like you might want them to. You can't just grab a point and move it. What you need to do is select the curve (and see it light up) then select the point (and see it light up with a little glow) and then right click (sometimes you need to right click twice) and then choose Move. At this point the move axis handle should appear and you should be able to click and drag the axis to move the point.

-- For tangent handles you need even more clicks. You need to click the curve (and see it light up) then click the handle line (and see it light up). Then you should be able to right click the handle and choose "enable tangent handle". Now you can go back to selecting the handle endpoint (and see it glow) then right click it to get the Move axis.

-- Another thing to keep in mind is that you are moving in 3D (of course) along the move plane you chose when you grabbed the move axis handle or point. What seems successful for me is to always view in ortho planes (Front, Right, Top...), switching through the three ortho views continuously as I click, click, click, click to move the handles. The process takes forever but it CAN be done.

-- Sometimes points can't be moved because of constraints, etc... This fact is easy to miss since it's also easy to fail moving a point simply because you haven't clicked enough things yet. Another reason this fact can be forgotten is because sometimes it seems like you CAN move the point. A typical mistake I make is to do all the clicking as described above, choose Move, and see the move dialog open but there is no Axis handle. (A sharp eye sees that the Move dialog says no item is selected, but my eye isn't sharp). Then I click again and the move axis handle appears, along with at white placebo dot. You can move this dot around but nothing on the spline changes. The habit to form is to look for the select glow around the point and to verify that there aren't some "Unlink" options offered in the right click menu.

-- Pipes and sweeps don't seem to be dynamic about a 3D path. I move the path points and the pipe stays where it was when it was first generated. There also don't seem to be the same profile options, etc, in the pipe dialog. Also, the sweeps don't seem to make it to the end of a 3D path. These could be misconceptions on my part, or they could be incomplete implementation and bugs. Dunno which.

It sure would be an improvement if there was a way to get the Move axis handle to appear at a point or tangent handle in 3D sketch without so much confounded clicking. Perhaps a key modifier? 

Message 8 of 10
colin.smith
in reply to: nadovich

Hi @nadovich

I have captured your concerns and I share most of them.  We will be working to improve both 3d sketching and surfacing in the next year so your feedback is timely.

Thanks

Colin

Colin Smith
Sr. Product Manager
SketchBook
Alias Create VR (aka Project Sugarhill)
Automotive & Conceptual Design Group
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: nadovich

The sequence of clicks to get to moving control points took a lot more than I was used too as well.  You should notice that once you initiate the move command, you can jump around and move any of the control points without starting the move command over from the beginning.  You only need to restart the move command to move other objects.  See the quick video if that needs more explanation. http://autode.sk/1XLaAaX

Message 10 of 10
nadovich
in reply to: Anonymous

Ahh, thanks for the pointer to the video. How did you find that? Info about fusion is scattered so far and wide it 

takes hours to find anything. The actual help documentation is generally the worst place to look. I learned 3D sketch

from that "toaster" hangouts video, which has about an hour of nonsense you need to wade through to get two minutes

of info.

A notable point about the video you suggeste, unlike the toaster, 

is that the person isn't actually designing something. I notice they never changed the view.

Chances are, the curve they created isn't quite as pretty in the ortho views.

Thanks about the tip about continuing the move command,

although it _does_ seem to take a hover and a click and a wiggle of the mouse to switch move points. Nevertheless,

this is better than starting over. It's an awesome help. Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report