Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create equal distance on either side of a set of sketch elements

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
codefoster
18454 Views, 6 Replies

Create equal distance on either side of a set of sketch elements

Is there a way to use constraints or dimensions to create an equal amount of space on either side of this set of rectangles? You can see the 25.4mm on the left. That needs to be increased to move the entire set of rectangles to the right until the set is centered on the body face. I could do it manually, but I wonder if there's a way to let F360 calculate this for me and keep it dynamic when I change the rectangle width or the distance between them. If I try to add a dimension to the right side at this point I get an over constraint message.

Thanks.

cutouts.png

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
NicolasXu
in reply to: codefoster

Hi codefoster,

Symmetry constraint might be a good approach in this case. Please refer to the attached screenshot.

Also, for the set of rectangles, you may try sketch Pattern command.

Untitled.png

Nicolas Xu
Sr. SQA Eng.
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 7
codefoster
in reply to: NicolasXu

That looks like a good option. Thanks.

It might be worth while to explore whether the exact scenario I brought up is worth exploring as a feature. All of the constraints are between two features in the sketch, but the scenario I raised is more like a constraint between two dimensions. The tricky part is you can't currently create a "blank" or valueless dimension. You have to determine a value. Who knows. It's worth thinking about.

Anyway, thanks for the solution. That works for me.

Message 4 of 7
NicolasXu

Thanks for your feedback.

There is an idea in IdeaStation to support driven dimension in Fusion. It's probably useful for the workflow, i.e. you can set the driven dimensions at eash side, the value doesn't matter and will not driving anything, but you can set the left one equal to the right one. 

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-ideastation-request-a/driven-dimensions/idi-p/5239927

Nicolas Xu
Sr. SQA Eng.
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 7
jjurban55

I was wondering about this kind of thing and found a pretty good solution.  Basically, make construction lines (or regular lines) that are coincident with features that want to 'bulk' space, then set desired construction lines with equal constraint (can click on equal constraint button then go crazy clicking), and voila.  When redimension one, all others set equal update.  Just be sure the equal construction lines are at same angle to each other, so resulting spacing is indeed the same.  In example below I also used equal constraint to make features all equal (and easily updatable).  

Untitled - 1.jpgUntitled - 2.jpgUntitled - 3.jpgUntitled - 4.jpgUntitled - 5.jpgUntitled - 6.jpgUntitled - 7.jpg

Message 6 of 7
NicolasXu
in reply to: jjurban55

Hi jjurban55,

It’s indeed a good example to leverage the constraint relationship. In codefoster’s case, the outer rectangle is projected from other object, thus the overall width is fixed. So we just need to dimension the width of the small rectangle & all the shapes will be centered.

Thanks for sharing the solution!

Nicolas Xu
Sr. SQA Eng.
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 7 of 7
jjurban55
in reply to: NicolasXu

Ah, I see how effective your symmetry method is, especially for overall fixed width like you said. Also tried the rectangular patterning you suggested, and that's really cool.  I realized you can right click on the patterning constraint icon on one's sketch and choose edit to enter new patterning information. 

Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report