Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create a hole at specific point on an object

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
kennymillar
2118 Views, 4 Replies

Create a hole at specific point on an object

I have an object which is 72 mm x 105 mm x 1.6 mm, and I wish to create holes of 3.2 mm in diameter, exactly 4 mm in from each edge.

I cannot see any way of specifiing the centre (origin?) of the hole, and the only way I can find to do it is to create the hole anywhere, then drag it to the corner, and then move it 4 mm in from the edges.

There must be a better way, surely?

Screen Shot 2014-04-24 at 13.45.52.png

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
deyop
in reply to: kennymillar

One approach would be to use a Sketch to specify the location of the holes and then extrude the entire profile 1.6 mm.  You could also create a sketch on the face of the body and then specify the location of the hole.  Then extruding the hole will automatically attempt to "Cut" the hole from the body.  When creating the circle on the sketch the Sketch Dimension will allow you to specifiy the precise distance between the edge and the center of the circle.  If you want multiple holes you could use the Rectangular Pattern to layout the additional holes.

HolePlacement.pngCirclePatterns.png

Message 3 of 5
kennymillar
in reply to: deyop

Thank you. 

The sketch feature has taken me a while to get my head around, but it looks like exactly what I should use.

Message 4 of 5
Mike.Zhang
in reply to: kennymillar

Hi, 

Here comes a simple way to deal with this issue. It maybe not easy to be found.

SimpleWay_to_create_a_Exact_Hole.png

Regards,

Mike.Zhang
SQA Engineer
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 5
Lonnie.Cady
in reply to: Mike.Zhang

this a great technique for place holes that are dimenisoned from an edge.  I have a part that needs them placed from the center.  Can someone explain how to do this?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report