Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy Paste

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
adam.k.rolph
649 Views, 1 Reply

Copy Paste

Hi, I want to be able to copy paste effectively, especially between designs.

I am unable to do this currently.  Please explain how I might copy paste in Fusion 360 on an iMac.  I have referenced several forum posts, including the following:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/sketching-sculpting-modeling-and/no-more-copy-components-between-desig...

Seriously guys, it's copy paste.  I was so happy with this product until I realized that such a simple process as copy-paste was nearly impossible to accomplish intuitively.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Phil.E
in reply to: adam.k.rolph

In current production you can copy bodies from one design to another, so long as the destination design is non-parametric, or 'history free'.

Step 1: Copy the body

Copy.png

Step 2: Create a non-parametric file

Step_2_Turn_off_history.png

OR: create a Base Feature, which is a non-parametric model node in your timeline. It's like turning off parameters/history while you insert or create something.

create_a_base_feature.png

Step 3: Paste

Step_3_right_click_and_paste.png

REUSING PARAMETRIC DATA

If you wish to re-use parametric data, you need to create reusable components. These can be inserted using the Insert command.

IMPORTANT: In order to re-use parametric data (sketches, parameters, Timeline, etc.) you must use the methods below.

Method 1: CREATE A PARAMETRIC COMPONENT TO INSERT

Create a single component with all sketches and bodies under the root. This can be inserted into other designs and will bring all parameters, features, and sketches.

root_component.png

Method 2: ACTIVATE COMPONENTS WHEN YOU WORK ON THEM

This keeps all the features, sketches, and parameters within the subcomponent. This component can be exported from the design and used via Insert command to place within other designs, and will bring the associated parameters and history.

ACTIVATE COMPONENT browser view.png

EXPORT THE COMPONENTS TO YOUR PROJECTS WITH SAVE-COPY-AS.

save_copy_as.png

save_copy_as_II.png

INSERT THE DESIGN

Insert.png

Please let us know if this helps!

Thanks,

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report