Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

construction plane disappearance

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
mbostonsprint
722 Views, 3 Replies

construction plane disappearance

I have seen this issue on numerous occasions, and I am curious about the situations wherein a construction plane is created for purpose of working some new geometric feature, and the plane disappears in the course of trying various permutations of commands and/or moving into and out of sketch mode, and changing the view orientation. There seems to be no discernible logic involved, and there may be some contribution on my part as well, but it is puzzling. Is there some relationship or hierarchy of command set that would cause this? Thanks --

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Hello,

Do you happen to know if your in a parametric design?  You can normally tell because there is a timeline at the bottom of the design.  If so, my follow up question would be if you notice the dissapearance specifically when editing older features?  What we do when your in a parametric design is when you edit or make changes to an existing feature we roll the timeline back to that point, which means prior to the creation of the construction plane.  Does this sound like it may be what is happening?  After completing the edit you should notice the construction plane again.

We don't have a setup inside of Fusion where by using certain commands it would turn off visibility of contruction planes etc.  The closest we have to this is that when geometry such as a sketch is consumed by an extrution or another feature, we turn off the visiblity of that sketch.  The sketch still exists, but it doesn't show up in the canvas, you can always turn it back on through the browser though.

Cheers,

[Joel Palioca]
[Software QA Engineer]
Joel(dot)Palioca(at)autodesk(dot)com
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 4

Hi, Joel --

Thanks for the response. I am working in parametric design territory, based on looking at the design history timeline and my preferences (which I haven't paid much attention to until now). I note that there is the choice of NOT capturing design history, and I am curious about whether that has any other effects on the modeling behavior in the software. I have found much of the behavior in regard to e.g. creating construction planes, using them as body-splitting tools followed by creation of some related geometry, and then deleting the construction planes, to create downstream headaches in terms of error messages related to use of cached geometry, and "try reselecting input geometry to edit" or some such message. Based on your comment, I am wondering if working in Direct Modeling regime would help eliminate a lot of what I perceive as unnecessary overhead in the process.

Basically I am currently operating in the mode of "try something, see if it works" and moving on if I need to try a different technique, not necessarily cleaning up every operational detail. Will Direct (non-parametric) Modeling be more flexible in this regard?

Message 4 of 4

Yes it sounds like Direct modeling may work well for you.  One specific thing with Direct modeling that you may or may not be leveraging right now is the ability to use parameters to define your model as well as allowing you to edit previous features.  Inside of Direct modeling the ability to edit existing features isn't as easy, but rather it is setup so that you can use new features to redefine the model.

Cheers,

[Joel Palioca]
[Software QA Engineer]
Joel(dot)Palioca(at)autodesk(dot)com
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report