Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't modify (extrude) sketches with imported SVG paths

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
bentwookie
1574 Views, 4 Replies

Can't modify (extrude) sketches with imported SVG paths

Hi everyone. Hopefully this is an easy one. 

I'm trying to import some paths from Illustrator CS6 and use them to create a model. I can import them, but when they come in, the sketch never "fills in" with the brownish background. The lines all stay green (or black after I unfix them) and I can't get a selection to extrude. 

My steps:

1) Start a sketch:

Screen Shot 2014-07-16 at 10.59.50 AM.png

The rectangle I created is filled in. All looks good so far.

2) Import the SVG file:

Screen Shot 2014-07-16 at 11.00.22 AM.png

I import it (with a scale of 1/72) and the paths appear to come in ok. However, the sketch seems to have lost it's ability to do anything useful. The brown filled in color is gone and I can't select regions to extrude. Even the original rectangle turns into a simple outline. 

How do I do something useful with these paths?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
bentwookie
in reply to: bentwookie

I imported a much simpler file (two rectangles) and that worked. In searching around, is it not closing my paths correctly? I've used the same paths with some CAM software and it worked fine. I've attached the SVG file I'm using if that helps. (compressed so the forum software will accept it)

Message 3 of 5
bentwookie

Interesting. If I don't apply the 1/72 scale, some of the paths come in as regions. Are rounding errors causing paths not to close?

Message 4 of 5
NicolasXu

Hi bentwookie,

Thanks for reaching out. There is a problem when constructing the region in the attached file. I will report it in our issue tracking system for a solution.

Meanwhile, as a workaround, when you apply the 1/72 scale, you can follow the video link below to solve the problem. (The problem is about tolerance and geometry overlap, so, if you apply other scale, the workaround may not work.)

https://screencast.autodesk.com/Main/Details/6a98508c-d0d4-4872-a2ae-aa80c3433f59

[Edit the link above]

Best Regards,

Nicolas Xu
Sr. SQA Eng.
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 5
bentwookie
in reply to: NicolasXu

Glad to hear you guys are looking at a solution. Thanks again for taking the time putting together a movie showing me how to fix this. That was very helpful!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report