Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't escape orbit!

78 REPLIES 78
SOLVED
Message 1 of 79
smeggy
9698 Views, 78 Replies

Can't escape orbit!

The June update has introduced a serious problem for me, I cannot escape orbit once initiated. It's the exact same problem that 123D had a few releases ago. I open a scene, orbit the view and it gets stuck in orbit with no way to stop it. The machine is a bog standard win 7 pc. The May and earlier releases worked fine so I don't know what has changed but I cannot use F3D. All I can do is quit the program once it happens.

Any ideas?

Tags (2)
78 REPLIES 78
Message 2 of 79
NCSkalsky
in reply to: smeggy

Hi -  I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble with orbit.   I have not seen this myself.   Are you having issue using the orbit command from the navigation toolbar (pic below)?    <ESC> key is not working?

navigation toolbar orbit.png

If you prefer and as a possible workaround you might use <SHIFT> and the middle mouse button to orbit (I actually prefer this rather than explicitly entering/exiting orbit command each time from the navigation toolbar).

I'll ask the team if anyone has seen this.

Thanks for reporting this and apologies for your inconvineance.

-Nathan

Nathan C. Skalsky
Portland, Oregon USA
Message 3 of 79
smeggy
in reply to: NCSkalsky

Hi Nathan,

thanks for the quick reply. Orbit works properly with Shift>MMB and the Nav bar, the problem is that I have a habit of hitting the view cube unconciously and it's ok as long as I move the mouse from the cube in towards the viewport area. If I move to the outside of the screen (to the right) it will seemingly go out of bounds and lock orbit mode. I'm a lefty and so moving the cube left to right to orbit is my normal mode... hence the problem.  That same as that action will also cause the cube/view to spin wildly. It appears that the mouse gets confined by the screen space, forcing the orbit to operate in an increasingly confined area until it becomes like a orbital singularity, it the mouse were permitted to do a screen wraparound (like in various numeric dialog boxes) it would likely fix the problem.   I don't know if this is doable. In the meantime I've disabled the viewcube. 

Try to reproduce this by rotating from the cube to the main screen border. If you wiggle it around the right of the screen edge it should reproduce the problem unless it's just specific to my configuration.

Message 4 of 79
Mike.Zhang

Hi,

Could you provide your machine information?

Mac or Windows? Detail OS information will help us address it.

Thanks for bing this up!

Regards,

Mike.Zhang
SQA Engineer
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 79
mjlarragueta

This is still an issue, fixes have been promised in 2015, and in 2017, it is now 2021 and this bug still exists.

-Mac OS X Catolina 10.15.7 (19H2)

Message 6 of 79
tedbradley314

This happens to me a couple of times every day. The help article says to restart Fusion 360. So that's what I do. But it' frustrating. See attached for a video. Escape key does not exit orbit mode. 

Message 7 of 79
tedbradley314

@smeggy can we please mark this as "no solution"? It says it was solved but it has not been. 

See attached for a video with repro steps on Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7 (19H1217) with bluetooth mouse. 

Simply click and hold the orbit cube then drag over the tree/browser and then release. 

Message 8 of 79
JPBrockway

I have the same issue.  Once I select orbit, I can't deselect it.

In general orbiting, panning and zooming are clunky in Fusion360 compared to other 3D apps I have used where moving around using gestures on a MacBook Pro are natural and fluid.

In general gestures do not always work as if the app forgets that the setting "Use gesture-based view navigation" is enabled. 

Message 9 of 79
emmdee

same problem here. REALLY FRUSTRATING!!!

FIRST TRACKPAD GESTURES STOPPED WORKING SOME MONTHS AGO 

NO ONE SEEMS TO CARE

NOW THIS?!?!

REALLY?!!?

THIS IS CRUCIAL, BASIC, ELEMENTARY STUFF.

FUSION IS BECOMING MORE AND MORE A NIGHTMARE TO USE

COULD THE DEV.TEAM PLEASE START TO SOLVE THESE CORE ISSUES 

BEFORE ADDING MORE USELESS FEATURES?

THANKS A LOT

Message 10 of 79
dero_flem

I also have this issue. MacOS. If I click on the top right cube to rotate my project, all ok unless I hold my mouse button down for more than 10sec.  After that the rotate function locks ON. To unlock I have to restart Fusion. Odd is the other tabs are not locked.

Message 11 of 79
patels9LF4H
in reply to: NCSkalsky

Hi, I have a student using Fusion 360 on a chromebook in a university setting. He is complaining of this and esc does not release him from Orbit view. Please tell me his solution IS NOT to restart the program.

Surj.

Message 12 of 79
ellis.lowell.scott

Same issue. I am on MacOS Monterrey 12.0. Happens to be at least once every couple of hours.
Message 13 of 79
scott8UDGF

I have the same issue on my Mac and have been trying for days to schedule support!  Autodesk support is terrible so far, I'm starting to regret paying for the subscription. As a hobbiest it was a lot of money and it doesn't really get me any support.  Sad...

Message 14 of 79
Anonymous
in reply to: scott8UDGF

I hope you solve this. I have had zero help or follow up from Autodesk. The sales guys keep calling but I think I have to look at "is the software fit for the job?" and I have to say "mostly, but not with a faulty steering wheel".

Message 15 of 79
scott8UDGF

Thanks, I don't have a lot of hope, it looks like this bug has been around for 8+ years.  It got worse after I paid for the software.  How is that even possible? Very disappointed in Autodesk.

Message 16 of 79

I am able to reproduce this issue as well. It is super annoying.

Mac OS 10.15.7

Message 17 of 79

I finally just bought parallels so I can run the windows version of fusion
360. Not sure if it’s the M1 chip in my Mac mini of just bugginess in
Fusion for Mac. Disappointing.
Message 18 of 79

Mine is Intel chip and this complaint is years old.
Message 19 of 79
gorodni4ij

The same issue for me

Message 20 of 79
chase.keith25

same 

video 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report