Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cam drawing and strategy

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
O.Tan
1053 Views, 4 Replies

Cam drawing and strategy

Hi,

I got a project coming up which will likely use some cam mechanism, any idea what's the best practice to do this in F360? This includes both drawing and joints. 

Omar Tan
Malaysia
Mac Pro (Late 2013) | 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5 | 12GB 1.8 GHz DDR3 ECC | Dual 2GB AMD FirePro D300
MacBook Pro 15" (Late 2016) | 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 16GB 2.1 GHz LPDDR3 | 4GB AMD RadeonPro 460
macOS Sierra, Windows 10

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Mike.Zhang
in reply to: O.Tan

You mean you're trying to add cam into your project, the cam is talking about "Camera"?

If so, you can check my previous design here:

https://fusion360.autodesk.com/projects/robot-camera

Try to download the model, and analyze it.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Mike.Zhang
SQA Engineer
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 5
O.Tan
in reply to: Mike.Zhang

Mechanical cam, not camera or machining CAM

Omar Tan
Malaysia
Mac Pro (Late 2013) | 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5 | 12GB 1.8 GHz DDR3 ECC | Dual 2GB AMD FirePro D300
MacBook Pro 15" (Late 2016) | 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 16GB 2.1 GHz LPDDR3 | 4GB AMD RadeonPro 460
macOS Sierra, Windows 10

Message 4 of 5
Mike.Zhang

Hi,

I just created a simple model to give you a instruction. Attached the model, and below is a demo video.

Currently Fusion 360 does not support the CAM Mechanical well, though we still can use Joint/Contact/Ground... to simply simulate it.

Anyway, we may add more related functions in future. Hope this helps you in current status.

https://screencast.autodesk.com/main/details/bfa962f3-018e-43e7-9e45-2d7ff1945d13

Regards,

Mike.Zhang
SQA Engineer
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

I did a sketch that demonstrates a cam lobe being driven by User Properties parameters table. Rather than drive the spokes of the wheel in the cam directly, I am driving an array of vertical lines, like a bar chart almost, and these lengths are copied to the spokes of the wheel via the equals constraint for each one, every 10 degrees. If you do this for a real cam, you will want to drive the lengths of each spoke directly perhaps, but I had problems simply defining the length of the line when it already existed at an angle, for the wheel spokes that define the cam shape. It wanted to dimension the length of the spokes relative to horizontal or vertical, rather than the simple length of the line at the angle it existed. Maybe there is a toggle for this, I have to look it up. When I figure that out, I can put the rectangluar "bar chart" in a different sketch and bind both the circular and rectangluar arrays to the User Parameters.

Also, I do not know what kind of line segment is best for connecting the spoke tips to form the outer contour. In this example I used splines, but these can ring and over/undershoot. Straight lines would give you flat sides, and I did not check out conic curve yet. Maybe some spline curve wizards can chime in on how to avoid these problems. This was more of a framework exercise than an attempt at a serious cam profiler, but maybe it goes in the right direction for folks who don't need super precision anyway. I also attached the Fusion 360 file below.

Parameter_Driven_Cam_Lobe v10.pngParameter_Driven_Cam_Lobe 2.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report