Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Constraints

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
mecheverry
527 Views, 7 Replies

Auto Constraints

Working with 2.0.1407

When sketching a line to end on another line, no auto constrain appears (I'm looking for Perpendicular), so I end up having to make the line, and adding the constrain after the line is created.

Unable to find a place to turn this on, if such a place exists.

Thanks

Mauricio

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
jeff_strater
in reply to: mecheverry

Yes, the sketcher can do this.  

It should automatically infer perpedicular to lines created in the same command session.  For lines created earlier, it may be necessary to "slide" along the line a bit to get it added to the list of curves to auto-infer constraints to.  We do this so that there is not a performance problem for large sketches, and also so that you don't get a lot of spurious perpendicular/paralell constraints being inferred to lines that you don't necessarily want to capture.

Hope this helps.  If necessary, I can record a video that demonstrates this

Jeff Strater (Fusion development)

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 8
mecheverry
in reply to: jeff_strater

I don't think it is working. See the attached images. In image 1, I get to see the perpendicular constrain if I over-shoot the target edge (line), but if I stop on it, then I get an auto constrain of coincidence, but not the perpendicular one (image 2)

example 1.JPG

Example 2.JPG

Mauricio

Message 4 of 8
jeff_strater

Ah, I see.  The pictures are very helpful.  Yep, that's a bug (a great find, actually).  The bug here is if you type a value, you do not get the constraint inference.  If you get there with the mouse (at least when I tested it), you should get the perpendicular constraint.  I'll file this bug, and hopefully get it fixed quickly.

In the meantime, you can work around it:  Either a) just get there via mouse movement, or b) type in the value, then hit TAB.  This will lock the value.  Then, if you move the mouse a little, it will keep the length value, and you can vary the angle.  When you move back to the perpendicular position, you should see the perpendicular constraint.

Jeff

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 5 of 8
mecheverry

Thank you, Jeff

One thing, though, the value you see there (3 mm), I didn't add it. That box is simply displaying the line length real-time as I approach, and eventually lock into, the target line.

In other words, I am "getting there with the mouse", as you describe in your reply, but I don't get the inferred constrain.

Message 6 of 8
mecheverry

Tere's more to the issue:

If I create a sketch on a plane, then the inferred constraints work. However, my problem is when I make a sketch on an existing face. If I make my line from an existing edge to another, then it doesn't infer the perpendicular constrain, regardless of whether I project the edges or not.

Mauricio

Message 7 of 8
jeff_strater

Interesting. Sorry, I thought I had found your issue (I think that is a bug, too). I'll have to test some more to see if I can reproduce your exact problem.

Jeff

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 8 of 8
jeff_strater

I did spend some time today trying to recreate the general problem.  So far I have not been successful.  It could be lots of different factors - the units I'm using, the size of the model, even what face/plane I am sketching on.  I've attached two videos that show what I am doing.  If you have a chance take a look, and see if you can see a difference between what you are doing and what I am doing.  Maybe we can figure this out.

Jeff

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report