Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembly Questions

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
TheCADWhisperer
331 Views, 6 Replies

Assembly Questions

I designed an assembly bottom up, that is I created each part in a separate file and then used the Assemble>Insert to place the part files.

Q1.  I realized that I made the part Punch Die the wrong diameter.  I went back to the original file and change the diameter, but the assembly didn't update.  Is the inserted a part a new part or is it associative to the original?

Component Associativity.png

Q1b.

If designing only a single part in a file - is there any reason to Create Component of the single Body?

Create Component.png

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Q2.

How do I constrain an imported spring to a cylinder (I am not expecting to change the spring length, ie compress or stretch).

Constrain Spring.PNG

Q2b.

I turned on the visibility of the spring origin axis, thinking I would be able to select it and the cylidrical pin, but could not select the axis for a mate.

Then I right clicked on the spring and selected Move and it appears that I have moved the spring away from it's origin (not the Axis is was left behind)?

Move Component.PNG

Message 3 of 7

Q3.

I want to place 5 more Punch Die, but each one with a slightly larger "dimple".

Is there something similar to Inventor iPart where I can place each as a different configuration of the original?

iPart.PNG

Message 4 of 7

1. it is not associative today. we will add this later this year. You can edit the inserted (really embedded design right in the top level assembly).  this all in one design is a tradeoff we started with in Fusion to keep the assembly tool simple. As more teams work with Fusion it is now time to add these external reference links.  The team is actually assembled here in portland planning it all out.  Is this a typical workflow for you or do you have other cases in mind?

1b. no

Kevin Schneider
Message 5 of 7

@schneik-adsk wrote:

1. it is not associative today. we will add this later this year. .  Is this a typical workflow for you or do you have other cases in mind?

The most obvious case - a part that is used in many assemblies - an error is discovered or a change is made that should effect all occurances of the part.

Message 6 of 7

Understood. That use case should be very straightforward.  It is worth us making sure we understand expected use cases and you would be surprised with some of the cases we come across.  It is clear this is an important need. We are not trying to build a SolidWorks or Inventor Clone.  There are some fundamental things about Fusion 360 that are different. We have tried to make the UI familiar and that sometimes makes it seem like they are all the same.

The top down design capture and built in data management/collaboration create new challenges and present new opportunities as we add assemblies with links.  If you are familiar with Inventor or Swx; you know things like copy design, file resolution rules, version management and other topics create a real burden on users. We want to make sure we do better and keep the tool simple to learn and use.

Kevin Schneider
Message 7 of 7

Perhaps some sort of Fusion Library.

Anything the user publishes to their custom library(ies) and retrieves is associative, otherwise not.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report