Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Absolutly unreliable...

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
douxyeti
423 Views, 4 Replies

Absolutly unreliable...

I can't say that I love Fusion 360. At the begining I hated it because it was bugging on simple line and crashing. Then It became more stable and the bugs went away. At that point I said to myself, Wow ! I like it.

The problem, Its been like that on and off since I use that software. Today, June 15, 2014, It is crap !! It keep deleting my bodies when I try to edit the underlying sketches and gave me an error about some combine error not even related.

I am about to quit as there is no way to rely professionaly on this setup... To Bad...

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jakefowler
in reply to: douxyeti

Hi douxyeti,

Many thanks for posting this, and very sorry to hear that you are encountering problems with Fusion 360. You’re right, we did have some stability issues in earlier versions, and we’ve been working hard to fix the major issues in our recent updates. Our work is not done, and we are continuing to work hard in this area. 

However, we’re not aware of any general problems causing widespread instability at the moment. So there may be a specific issue with your model or environment that we can investigate and try to resolve.

Would it be possible to send me details of your machine environment? (Hardware model, OS, CPU, RAM, Graphics). And are you able to share the f3d archive of the model that’s showing the Combine error you described? (to save your model as an f3d archive, click the 3-bar menu in the application bar, and select Export Archive). Also, if you are seeing any crashes, we should be able to look these up in our database if you supplied an email address when submitting these, and we can follow-up on these specific issues.

Feel free to send me an email - jake.fowler (at) autodesk.com - if you would like to discuss these issues directly.

Many thanks,

Jake

Jake Fowler
Principal Experience Designer
Fusion 360
Autodesk

Message 3 of 5
kingson138
in reply to: jakefowler

Hi Jake, I think the most confusing thing about Editing sketches is whether to edit on the Browser or on the TimeLine. I think most of the time the user should Roll Back then edit instead of just editing the sketches on the browser or TimeLine. Without rolling back the result could be very unpredictable. I went through these before and now for me it is kind automatic since I am using the program everyday. Maybe rolling back to the editing point on the time line is the most important habit when using Parametrics.

Even after rolling back and sketches edited, once the play button is hit and new forms generated  I noticed some "yellowed out" icon on the time line which could be the old form before the editing. Clicking "Computer All" will generate an error message then it will say "cache" will be used. I had found that if I rolled back to the yellowed out icon, then suppress the feature the problem is fixed. After that I will unsuppress and delete that particular yellowed out part. After that "Compute All" will work again.

I think The team should work on these "Ghostly Orphans" even after the sketches were edited. After the "Ghostly Objects" deleted the "Compute All" seems to work.

Regards,
Kingson
Using Apple computers
Message 4 of 5
donsmac
in reply to: kingson138

You might be experiencing a similar problem that I thought I had, but turned out not to be a problem at all.

When I first used the timeline and edited a sketch, I would see bodies disappear but just because the sketch was made before the bodies, so going to edit the sketch put you back in the timeline at a point where the bodies have not been born yet 🙂 so you don't see them.

When you finish the sketch, you return to the end of the timeline and the bodies return with any updates.

Make a new sketch instead so the bodies don't disappear.

Hope that's it.

Message 5 of 5
kingson138
in reply to: donsmac

I can see the frustration when bodies disappeared after some form of editing on the TimeLine. If that happened I think you should just use the back arrow to go back and then redo the sketch editing again. If the sketch is deleted the body will be deleted too when using Parametrics. It is also a good idea to save a version every few minutes so when all failed, the user can promote the older version back.

The parametric mode takes a little getting use to but it really is a good tool. It is imperfect as it is now. For example the user cannot scale a finished model and has to stop recording to do that in DM mode. Paste New does not work in the TimeLine mode. I used to hate this mode and try not using it. Now after some time I really feel that it is good. But to do editing a little logic on the Time before and after is needed. For example, if you had created a box, with a lid maybe 2 cm from the top of the box. The distance of the lid is measured from the ground plane. If you want to adjust the height of the box by 2cm then you should roll back to the lid creation and raise the lid first, play, then roll back to the box creation and increase the height of the box. But if the lid is measured from the top of the box, than maybe you just have to roll back to the box creation and increase the height of the box, play again everything related will be adjusted.

Some of us had been frustrated with Fusion at the early stages (actually just a few months' ago) but I still think that this is a good program with a new concept.

Please give it a chance and try again. Some of us did and are now using the program for our professional work.

Enjoy it, it might change your mind!

Sorry for the long reply.

Regards,
Kingson
Using Apple computers

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report