Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2D Adaptive not clearing all material

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
3157 Views, 7 Replies

2D Adaptive not clearing all material

Hello all,

I am fairly new to Fusion 360, so maybe I'm trying to use adaptive clearing incorrectly, anyway...

See attached photos, when I am using the 2D Adaptive, it is not clearing all material as seen in the simulation, it is leaving a little material at the tip of the hook.  I have tried an 1/8" end mill, in addition to the 3/8" end mill the op is specified to use.  I am using two adaptive operations, one as a roughing with 0.02" stock to leave, and another finishing pass with no stock to leave, both leave the tip material.  Tolerance 0.004 and minimum radius is 0.  It appears to be using the lower line of the v-shaped relief as a stopping point.  User error or bug?  Any ideas on a work around?

I should add that yesterday I was having problems with it overcutting at the v-shaped recess by around 0.125".  When I selected the surface it was making a selection area larger than the contour, today it is staying in the bounds of the contour.  If I try selecting just the contour, not the surface, it gives me an empty toolpath error.

Thank you,

Phil

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
adsloud
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Phil,

Thanks for letting us know. To make the problem clearer, can you please share your design with us? You can use the Export command to save the design as a .f3d file and then attach it here. Thank you for your support!

Export.png

Debbie Lou
Sr. QA Engineer for HSM CAM
Message 3 of 8
curtis.chan

Hello Phil,

Debbie pointed out the correct way to export the file so we can view it; or you can always invite us to the project.  

curtis.chan@autodesk.com

Please let us know if you still have issues sharing the file or exporting it.

12-17-2014 9-53-51 AM.jpg

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: curtis.chan

The file is attached, and you have been invited.

Message 5 of 8
curtis.chan

Thanks.  I'll take a look at it.

Best,

-Curtis

Message 6 of 8
curtis.chan

Hi Philip.

I've saved the file under the Project you invited me too.  Just a couple of notes: (see images below)

1. Use a 2D Pocket Operation

2. Use Rest Machining after the 2D Pocket Operation (Remember to use a small enough tool to get into that corner radius.)

3. Uncheck 'Stock to Leave' as necessary.

Hope this helps.  Let us know if you have any additional questions.

2D Pocket.jpg

Rest Machining.jpg

Stock to Leave - Rest Maching.jpg

Simulation.jpg

Message 7 of 8
adsloud
in reply to: curtis.chan

Thanks, Curtis. Phil, please see more details from the attached design. Generally, 2D Pocket operation does better in the small areas like the tip in your case, but 2D Adaptive operation can make 40% faster material removal rates because larger depth cuts can be taken with full confidence that the cutter will never see spikes in tool engagement taht would break cutters. So please try to use proper tool, different geometry selection method and operation type to finish different machining.

Debbie Lou
Sr. QA Engineer for HSM CAM
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: adsloud

Thank you for your help. 

I did come up with my own solution, partly because the stock I have on hand is thinner than I was originally intending.  The finished(modeled) part is in picture one.  The block that you saw earlier is a fixture holding the part after it has been flipped to machine the recess and chamfer the edges.  Except for the shallow v-notch, staying in bounds of the contour is not necessary, hence me using the 3/8" tool.  I was expecting the 2D Adaptive to clear all the material of the selected contour, taking into account it is a 3/8" tool.  I do think there is an issue still, being that it stopped removing material past a horizontal line from the v-notch.

I was originally going to full depth machine the part, followed by flipping the part into the fixture.  I would then face off 0.060", then machine the backside recess I am having issues with, using 2d Adaptive.  Yes I could pocket the recess, but that would require me using an end mill that is much smaller then necessary and practical.  A 1mm end mill cutting to 3.5mm is going to be very fragile and slow. I could make it think i was using a tiny end mill, but that could lead to disasters.

I have since changed to a partial depth machining op on the first side, followed by flipping the part into the fixture and 2D Adaptive clearing all around the part, to remove the excess stock.  As seen in the second picture.

On another note, I did notice an issue while adjusting some features of the fixture.  If I change the size of the holes of the fixture that allow for the points of the part, when I go back to CAM it clears out my selections in the setup for the op.  I need to reselect the work coordinate system, model, and fixture.

That also brings me to another question.  Is there a way to "overcut" corners so one does not need to model in a relief for pointed items, due to a tool that is larger than the radius of the corner?

Thank you for all your help, I really was not expecting this level of support when I subscribed.

Phil

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report