SketchBook Forum
Hello Sketchbook Community Members! Sketchbook started a new exciting endeavor. This forum is now read-only mode. Please visit the new Sketchbook Help Center, https://help.sketchbook.com/ in the future. Happy sketching!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SketchBook for Free! FAQ

127 REPLIES 127
Message 1 of 128
david.lau
564545 Views, 127 Replies

SketchBook for Free! FAQ

How do I get SketchBook for free?

• For the Mac or Windows desktop versions:
    • Download SketchBook from SketchBook.com, Windows Store, or Mac App Store
    • Install and launch SketchBook
    • If you have an existing Autodesk ID
      • Hit the Sign In button and enter your Autodesk ID and password
      • Now, start using SketchBook for free!
    • If you don’t have an Autodesk ID
      • Hit the Create Account button to create a free Autodesk ID and password
      • Launch SketchBook
      • Hit the Sign In button and enter your Autodesk ID and password
      • Now, start using SketchBook for free!

I am currently a subscriber. What does this mean for me?

After April 30, 2018, you will no longer need a subscription to run the full version of SketchBook.

If you purchased a Subscription from the Microsoft Store:

• Download the new version from the Microsoft Store, enter your Autodesk ID, and continue using SketchBook.
  • Your current subscription will not auto-renew.

If you purchased a Subscription from the iTunes Store or Mac App Store:

• Update your copy of SketchBook to the new version. Enter your Autodesk ID and continue using SketchBook.

If you purchased a Subscription from Google Play:

• Update your copy of SketchBook to the new version. Enter your Autodesk ID and continue using SketchBook.
  • You will be required to cancel your Google Play subscription. Due to the way some stores handle subscription, Autodesk is unable to do that for you.

If you purchased from a Subscription from SketchBook.com:

• Download the update from SketchBook.com.

Is SketchBook being retired?

No, SketchBook is not being retired. We will continue to develop SketchBook and SketchBook for Enterprise with a focus on adding functionality to enable designers, architects, and animators to capture conceptual art and designs. While not all functionality will end up in both SketchBook and SketchBook for Enterprise, you will continue to enjoy the robust capabilities of SketchBook and benefit from ongoing enhancements, free of charge.

What are the benefits of SketchBook for Enterprise?

SketchBook for Enterprise supports deployment at larger organizations and is included as part of different Autodesk collections. The product has similar features, with the exception of specific cross-product functionality, as it pertains to other Autodesk software in our collections.

In-App Purchase from iTunes Store or Google Play (Pro Tools)

Users who have purchased the In-App Pro Tools version of SketchBook,  now have access to the Desktop and Windows 10 version of SketchBook to complete your art. Desktop only features include access to Free brushesRadial SymmetryPredictive Stroke and Textured brushes.   To access the full version of SketchBook, create and login with an Autodesk ID.

To create an Autodesk ID, you can do it within the SketchBook products.  You can also create and/or reset the password here:

https://accounts.autodesk.com

David Lau
127 REPLIES 127
Message 2 of 128
Anonymous
in reply to: david.lau

So what about those of us who already have subscriptions to Sketchbook? Will we see some value added items? Should we be expecting some sort of refund? My subscription runs through September.

Message 3 of 128
yan_xbox360

It is free now !!  I  want my money back

Message 4 of 128
Anonymous
in reply to: yan_xbox360

I received a private email reply that I was not going to get a refund because it was not within the first 30 days of my subscription date.

This aggression will not stand, man.

Message 5 of 128
jalba1980

I'm only NOW seeing this! WOW! This is awesome news! 

Message 6 of 128
ena_caren1

Thank you sooooooooo much!!!!!!!!!!! Woman Very Happy Heart

Message 7 of 128
nyxielovespie

Quick question about this change, as much as a I want to be happy about this. I paid for sketchbook pro for a reason, and that reason was that certain brushes/features that were PREVIOUSLY free became locked behind a pay wall, which I was luckily able to afford. My concern is that now that you're presenting the program as free again while removing features to put behind a larger pay wall again. So is this the case (locking a lot of basic features behind a paywall) or are you instead intending to release something akin to what is now Sketchbook Pro but for free?

Because if it is another case of you locking away semi basic features behind an even larger pay wall I will definitely be moving away from the program. I have no need for the enterprise version of this software if all that's happened is that certain features are locked away again. I will simply be moving on to another art program that provides what I want/need without locking things behind a massive paywall that I simply can't afford. 

Message 8 of 128
richardTUZPK

I'd paid for Pro on the 26th March.  Both my android and PC versions of Sketchbook stopped recognizing my account yesterday when I got the message to say that Sketchbook was now free.  I then set up a new user name using the same information I had previously used.  This works OK but doesn't have details of my previous payments.  How can I change this?

Thanks

Message 9 of 128
jack809

Don’t forget that they took away the sketch this challenge now on iPad Pro because it recognizes that it’s a desktop now ! Woooo hoooo  well at least it’s free now 

Message 10 of 128
dbekhouc

Sketchbook becomes free shortly after the update of the Free and Open Source Software Krita in his version 4.0. This is why those software should be supported, they create competition and us consumer we win from that!

Don't hesitate to support other FOSS software, for example donating to Blender will allow to drop the subscription price of Maya and 3ds max.

ena_caren1: You shouldn't thank Autodesk, but their competitor that forced Autodesk to release it for free 😉 https://krita.org/en/item/krita-4-0-0-released/

Tags (2)
Message 11 of 128
dbekhouc
in reply to: ena_caren1

Delete this post, the answer feature doesn't work...

Message 12 of 128
jalba1980
in reply to: dbekhouc

Never heard of Krita, and i might give it a try. But the one thing I am hooked with Sketchbook is how the pencil flow is almost realistic. Plus their interface is awesome (especially on my crappy ass Ipad 2 - ah shame).

Heck, they still trump Procreate with their ruler and ellipse tools! 

Unless something drastic change, I think I will hang with Sketchbook. But cool of the guy to let folks be aware of Krita though. Every day is a discovery.

Message 13 of 128
david.lau
in reply to: jalba1980

For users on iOS, you can also get SketchBook Motion (in Pro mode/unlocked).

https://itunes.apple.com/co/app/sketchbook-motion/id1061224933?l=en&mt=8

https://www.sketchbook.com/blog/ipad-app-year-sketchbook-motion-2016/

David Lau
Message 14 of 128
SigmundSL

What does this mean for people like me that has purchased the Pro Tools on iOS? Something will change? Or what exactly because I’m now concerned of the inclusion of ads on the software and trash like that. I’ve paid and I’ll like to have an answer 

Message 15 of 128
david.lau
in reply to: SigmundSL

At this time, there are no ads.  The only 'ad' we have is that it's free.  That's it.  If you sign in, it won't come up.  

If you have iOS, you can now use the Desktop version of SketchBook for even more features to complete your artwork.

David Lau
Message 16 of 128
Anonymous

And how are you all repaying all of your customers who have paid for a subscription? 

You stated before you aren't giving refunds because it's not within 30 days of the beginning of the subscription.

But that still does not give you license to take our money for something that you are now giving away for free.

My lawyer is wondering what your response will be.

Message 17 of 128

Unless the Enterprise Version is available for individuals and freelancers then this is a problem for a lot of designers/animators/artists - and we'll have to look elsewhere (which personally I am already doing). I think people are happy to pay a small/reasonable fee for 'extras' however the EntVer at the moment is aligned with prograps/bundles that are way beyond individuals.....

Message 18 of 128
wiseguss

It seems like great news but Sketchbook has been my main work tool for about 5 years now. I feel kind of concerned because, well, you know what happens to free stuff, it either gets disregarded by the developed or people using other software will see it as a minor product. To me Sketchbook has improved a lot in this years and I want to see it continue to improve. As a paid product I know that I will get customer support but as a free product, I don't know if support and development will continue to happen.

Tags (1)
Message 19 of 128
treywillson81

Others have posted comments/questions regarding those of us who have a paid subscription and if we will get a refund but I haven't seen an official response.

I just renewed my pro subscription on April 18th which honestly shouldn't have even been an option. Autodesk knew they were making sketchbook free for a long time and to continue prompting renewal purchases and then accepting payments is, for all intents and purposes, stealing.

I'd love to hear an official explanation as to how that type of action is justified.
Message 20 of 128
eamondesigns
in reply to: wiseguss

I agree with what you are saying - the whole situation has been badly handled by AutoDesk

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report