Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volumetric Shrinkage

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
sharbaf
1350 Views, 8 Replies

Volumetric Shrinkage

Hello,
Does anyone knows how to use volumetric shrinkage result to predict possibility of sink mark?I found the range of e.g from 0.4 to 7.12 in my result, but i dont know how can I use it to predict of shrinkage.
beside, what is the meaning of this range?
thanks.
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
GoncaloRodrigues
in reply to: sharbaf

Hello Mr. Sharbaff,

Gonçalo from MOLIPOREX is writing.
I hope everything is Ok with you and your team.

Have you look to help in Moldflow concerning Volulmetric Shrinkage? I think there you have the answer you look for. At least you can understand how to predict sink marks.

High shrinkage values could indicate sink marks or voids inside the part.
For thermoplastic materials, volumetric shrinkage should be less than the observed maximum value for the material. You can find material shrinkage information in the Thermoplastic material database. Right-click the material in the Study Tasks pane and select Details.

Volumetric shrinkage can be controlled by the use of packing profiles.

I hope it help you...!!!

Engº.Gonçalo Rodrigues
MOLIPOREX
Portugal
Message 3 of 9
kameshwarang

values should be well below 6%.if the value is more , and if the location is near thick regions or ribs and bosses, u can predict sinkmarks.u cannot measure the value of sinkmarks with volumetric shrinkage
regards
kameshwarang.G
Message 4 of 9
HaraldLoacker2976

You can calculate out of the volumetric shrinkage (S_V) the linear shrinkage (S_L) by this equation.

S_L = (1 - (1 - S_V)^(1/3)) * 100

Example:

S_V = 6 % = 0.06

S_L = (1 - (1 - 0.06)^0.3333) * 100 = 2.04 %

I hope this helps to answer your question.

Harald
Message 5 of 9
svennelin5284

Hi there

Is there any scientific reference for this calculation and observations?
Does anyone know if this is relevant for all types of materials and wall thicknesses?

Regards Sven
Message 6 of 9
HaraldLoacker2976

Here is a link to a more detailed explanation.
http://mfg.eng.rpi.edu/aml/course/Shrinkage%20Rate%20Exercise.pdf

I hope I don't break any copyright law by this link.
Regards Harald
Message 7 of 9
kameshwarang

thank you for sharing a valuable information
regards
kameshwarang.G
Message 8 of 9
madhukeshwart

For isotropic 3D solid materials, linear shrinkage is approximately one third of the volumetric shrinkage, where volumetric shrinkage is evenly distributed in all directions.

For transversely isotropic materials in thick parts, volumetric shrinkage is approximately equal to the shrinkage in the flow direction plus two times the shrinkage in the transverse direction.

For shell-like geometries, it is expected that the shrinkage in the thickness direction should be higher than the shrinkage in the plane of the part.

Shrinkage in the thickness direction is likely to be greater than one third of the volumetric shrinkage, while in-plane shrinkage should be less than one third of the volumetric shrinkage.

Many mold features act as constraints to in-plane shrinkage. If you are using a fiber-filled material, the orientation of the fibers in the plane of the part will limit shrinkage in this direction.

Shrinkage in the thickness direction is relatively unconstrained.
Madhukeshwar Talwar

FORD MOTORS PRIVATE LIMITED, Chennai
mail: madhukeshwart@gmail.com
======================================
Please use . Accept as Solution and Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you! .....
Message 9 of 9
madhukeshwart

refer moldflow help

Madhukeshwar Talwar

FORD MOTORS PRIVATE LIMITED, Chennai
mail: madhukeshwart@gmail.com
======================================
Please use . Accept as Solution and Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you! .....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report