Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Valve Gate Sequencing

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
ScottMayes7507
875 Views, 7 Replies

Valve Gate Sequencing

I need help in how to set up valve gate sequencing. I am utilizing 3 valve gates, filling from one end and would like to start the second two gates as the material hits the gate.

How do I set up the timing in the process perameters as well as at the valve gate beam properties?

Regards,
Scott
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
raalteh
in reply to: ScottMayes7507

Hi Scott,

There is actually a good help topic for this called 'Setting valve gates'. If you access the help, go to the index tab and start typing 'valve'. You will see 'Setting valve gates' turn up.

The valve gate trigger you are looking for is 'control by flow front', and you can even specify a delay to let the flow front pass sufficiently before opening the gate.

I hope this helps
Hanno van Raalte,

Product Manager - Injection Molding & Moldflow products
Message 3 of 8

For those that are interested, my problem with the valve gate sequencing was that I did not assign the correct group to each valve gate. this is done in the valve gate control.

Scott
Message 4 of 8
SantucciGM

Hi Scott !

There are some options to the valve-gate control. The "flow-front method" is usefull when you don't have any guess about the best moment to open the valve. However in some kinds of gates the flow front must to pass through the cold gate to reach the valve gate. When this happens some colder material is pushed back to the part when the valve gate open. While we're just in a virtual enviroment we will see just a temperature loss and the underflow. In a real enviroment we may see also blemishes and cracks caused by frozen material that was pushed back to the part.

So, in general I preferr to use flow front method to find the approximate volume injected until the gate position, and in a subsequent run I use to set the valve gate method to %Volume Method - once this method depends on just on the part/shot volume it is more usefull when you have to change the fill time, our change the injection machine.

I hope this may help you.

BR

Santucci
Message 5 of 8
pk_vel

Hi Santucci,

Part has 3 hot drops with valve gates, filling from one end.
practically is the 1st gate will get closed while opening the 2nd gate and closing the 2nd while opening the 3rd gate?
Then opening 1st & 2nd gates for packing?

is the same to be followed in moldflow? any idea about this?

Thanks
P K VEL
Message 6 of 8
SantucciGM

Hello PK

I use to do not close the valve gate at same time the next valve gate opens in order to do not inccour on underflow by changing the flow direction, however do not retard closing it to much - this might cause overpacking and higher shear stress.

BR

Santucci Edited by: SantucciGM on Mar 22, 2010 3:50 PM
Message 7 of 8

YesYes this is done in practice and I have done it many times in analysis. Timing might vary since on the shop floor they sometimes open the gate before the front had arrived at its location and sometimes later. this is done in practice and i have done it many times in analysis. Timing migth vary
Message 8 of 8
pk_vel

Hai, Santucci & GalSherbelis7635,

Thanks for your replies.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report