Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use of fiber orientation models to predict platelet filler orientation

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
MrBlub
564 Views, 3 Replies

Use of fiber orientation models to predict platelet filler orientation

Hi there,

I am currently working on the morphology characterization of platelet filled polymers. One part of the study is to examine the filler orientation within simple injection molded parts. Since the fiber orientation models implemented in MoldFlow have been well established to predict fiber orientation, I would like to know if there is any experience of applying those models on platelet/flaky filler geometries, especially with regard to the required material/filler properties and model parameters. The platelets have an average diameter of 25µm and thickness of 1µm (AR=25).

Many thanks in advance for any help!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
MrBlub
in reply to: MrBlub

Another question that has been recently raised is whether I have to define the AR (L/D) as diameter/thickness (25/1) OR thickness/diameter (1/25) in the MoldFlow properties when adding a new (platelet) filler material. Can anyone help please?

By the way I am using the latest version (AMI 2013) and wanted to try both the Folgar-Tucker-Model and RSC-Model.

Message 3 of 4
MartinCavalry
in reply to: MrBlub

Hi MrBulb,

Good that you have mentioned these questions. I`m planning to do similar characterizations as well.

With respect to your question, have you tried to create you own material database?

Within that, you may find the relevant properties that you need to have for an accurate analysis.

Go to TOOLS / Database / New...  just follow the sequence further

For a test I selected and duplicated an optional resin and edited the properties.

you can edit the Filler properties / Filler data /  --> select filler then click Details to edit the properties.

At the bottom of the window you should see the L/D and fibre length brackets.

I wonder whether you have done rheological tests?

how can you get d1, d2, d3, a1, a2 coeffs for the Cross-WLF model?

thanks too and kind regards, Martin

Message 4 of 4
MrBlub
in reply to: MartinCavalry

MartinCavalry,

Thank you very much for your first help on this topic!

I already found out how to create an own material database. Have you got any experience about the main relevant properties to be defined in order to receive accurate results of filler orientation? (I am actually not interested in any other results like shrinkage/warpage, entrapped air, weld lines, ..). I mean there are a lot of parameters to be defined - not only for the filler (modulus, poisson-ratio, CTE, tensile strength, ..), but also for the compound material (mechanical / thermal / rheological properties as mentioned above). Which of them are absolutely necessary for the filler orientation models?

Besides it would be helpful to know what effects the single model parameters (Folgar-Tucker-Coefficient, RSC-Coefficient) have? What are good values for platelet-/flake-like fillers?

I would appreciate any further help and also be happy to share my experience after completion of my studies!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report