Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To mesh your parts, do you use another software than Moldflow ?

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
PascalGosset
2601 Views, 13 Replies

To mesh your parts, do you use another software than Moldflow ?

Which one ? Does it satisfy you ? How much time do you save with it ?

Signature: "Maybe Moldflow does not work properly, but the real world neither" my son...6 years old 😉

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

yes,

1.Hypermesh

2.Ansa.

we can save up to 40% time

both are vey good and userfreindly to control mesh quality

Madhukeshwar Talwar

FORD MOTORS PRIVATE LIMITED, Chennai
mail: madhukeshwart@gmail.com
======================================
Please use . Accept as Solution and Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you! .....
Message 3 of 14
piepCAE
in reply to: madhukeshwart

Hello,

When meshing with ANSA, how do you obtain a good mesh match and reciprocal mesh match? It would be very usefull to use ANSA for meshing, I'm very familiar with the software, but I can't find any function to automatically match the mesh. Even ANSA support team couldn't give me any satisfatory answer.

Thanks

Tags (1)
Message 4 of 14

Hello,

We also use ANSA for the preprocessing. We mesh our parts in ANSA and export them as a nastran file. We import the mesh and remesh it in Moldflow to get the mesh matching. It saves a lot of time and you get really good meshes.

Best regards

Message 5 of 14
PascalGosset
in reply to: PascalGosset

Thanks for your replies.

In fact, I use Moldflow since many many years.

But sometimes, I'm bored to waste so mush time, just to mesh the parts.

Well... I had already head of Hypermesh, but not of Ansa.

Based on your answers, I concluded they are more or less interesting in function of the mesh type.

Effectively, they cannot be worse than Moldflow for the Midplane meshing.

It became really bad those last years. So I stopped to use it.

For the dual domain meshing, I'll have to check if they can match opposed elements.

For the 3D meshing, I guess they could be more useful, at least to mesh the models skins.

It remains to see whether the price is worth it.

Signature: "Maybe Moldflow does not work properly, but the real world neither" my son...6 years old 😉

Message 6 of 14

Thank you for answer, I'll try your solution and post back.

Message 7 of 14
PascalGosset

This morning, I saw a demonstration of Hypermesh.

Finally, it works better than I thought.

In fact, it is able to mesh the parts in function of the simulating soft you want to use.

So for Moldflow Dual Domain, you can get matched elements.

For 3D calculations, it can mesh the walls with tetrahedral elements, on 6  layers or more, as well as Moldflow, and maybe better.

Message 8 of 14
lkrauss

i'm an hypermesh user, i know there is a specific template for moldflow in hypermesh, but i never use it to create directly the 3D mesh with 6 layer

did they give you any support document ? because i tried myself once and i get strange 3D. anyway i create my 2D with HM then generate the 3D by moldflow and it's faster.

concerning fusion mesh, i never tried to use HM ( i didn't know that HM was able to create this kind of mesh)

Message 9 of 14
PascalGosset
in reply to: lkrauss

@Ikrauss :

Concerning the 3D meshing, they show me that Hypermesh was able to create tetras on 6 layers.

I did not get any documentation about that, but maybe you could find explanations in their Help.

Concerning the Dual meshing, they show me that the triangles created were quite symmetric.

In Hypermesh, there is a diagnostic called "Matched elements" like in Moldflow.

And the results seemed quite good.

They also showed me some ways to improve the symmetry of elements (projections...).

However, I recently tested Moldflow to see the impact of asymmetric meshes.

Finally, I only noticed little differences for filling and warping results between symmetric and asymmetric meshed models.

Message 10 of 14
piepCAE
in reply to: piepCAE

I've tried to use ANSA to mesh some parts and it's very usefull, I could save a lot of time, it's very easy to solve geometric problems and to generate a good quality mesh. It doesn't match the elements, indeed, the match is made by Moldflow when remeshing the mesh created by ANSA. It's not a direct approach but it saves a lot of time.

Message 11 of 14
kgonzal5
in reply to: madhukeshwart

I use Hypermesh, it saves a lot of time. First I do the best mesh possible without inverting many time, exported to a nas, then importing to Moldflow, check with the Moldflow's mesh repair wizard and as I find the errors in the mesh, I correct them in Hypermesh. After having found all the issues, I just bring the last corrected nas model into Moldflow and remesh all components in order to have a good match and then again check with the repair wizard.
It's a good technique to save time.

Message 12 of 14
nklar

Hi,
can you shortly describe, how you generate the mesh in ANSA - or where do I find a tutorial?
I do not know, which parameters to enter in ANSA and what mesh type I should use.

Best regards,
Norbert

Message 13 of 14
PascalGosset
in reply to: nklar

Take care : I posted that question in 2011 !

I don't use ANSA.

If you want people answer you : create a new post in the Home Moldflow Users Forum.

Have a nice day.

Message 14 of 14
mtrujil1
in reply to: nklar

Hi Nklar.

Basically to make a quick DD Mesh in ansa, you need export the part, and then create some Mesh Parameters and Quality criteria for your new mesh.

For example you can create Mesh parameters like Mesh lenght ~3mm, depending of part dimension and PC capacity, for Quality criteria you can select  Aspec Ratio <= 6 and Minimun Edge Lenge to 0.5mm to avoid  small elemnts into your mesh.

Before start the mesh, please assign the Global Edge lenght for your part (please consider that you can define different mesh densities for your part, ie. Main Body, Ribs, Bosses, etc)

i will recomend create your mesh with Batch (remember change the element type to triangle, and define the Target Lenght). this operation maight save a lot time to create your final mesh.

But if you have a specific area that you want review, please use BEST for your mesh generation, and then freeze the local mesh and for the remaining use Batch Type.

regards

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report