Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sink mark prediction on 3D mesh result

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
TerrySin
1215 Views, 2 Replies

Sink mark prediction on 3D mesh result

Hi All,

I am using 3D mesh almost one year. Now, I predict sink mark by using "Average volumetric shrinkage" result.

I feel "Sink marks estimate" result and "Sink marks shaded" result are not so accurate.

I judge any sink mark appear on a product by comparing shrinkage difference from "Average volumetric shrinkage" result.

On a smooth surface, if there has two different shrinkage regions and they have a clear contrast, sink mark will appear between them.

Have anyone this experience? and can you share how to identify sink mark issue? what is your rule?

And I read some previous post mentioned that when shrinkage value is larger than 5 ~ 6 %, sink mark will appear.

When using 3D mesh, can we use this rule??

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Hello Terry,

I also have the similar requirement to predict the sink mark on a 3D mesh. As you said, I am also not sure, to interpret the sink mark from the sink mark estimate. It also seems not accurate?

What is the difference between Average volumetric shrinkage and Volumetric shrinkage?

In the moldflow help menu, its said that, sink marks can be predicted using Average volumetric shrinkage. Is this the solution?

Please share your experience in predicting the sink mark on a 3D mesh.  Anyone has validated the sink mark results of 3D mesh?

Regards

JK

Message 3 of 3
HugoHerrera7042
in reply to: TerrySin

Hi Terry,

I have the exact same methodology of showing sink marks when working with 3D meshes. I also find the sink mark estimate and shaded results not accurate and sometimes unlogical.

with the 3D mesh I like to create a new result using the average volumetric shrinkage, but as a probe plot, so that i can create a bunch (when i say bunch i mean around 20) of cutting planes trhough the part on the areas that i know may be critical...also using the time to reach ejection temperature 3d result the same way...

hope it helps

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report