Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rubber molding material profiles

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
jcarter
2082 Views, 2 Replies

Rubber molding material profiles

I am looking to do some Moldflow simulations on rubber compounds that we injection mold.  The software discription states that it can "Simulate thermoset injection molding, RIM/SRIM, resin transfer molding, and rubber compound injection molding."  But I cannot find any materials in the library to try to simulate a basic rubber compound like nitrile, neoprene or flourocarbon.  Has anyone done any simulating with these types of rubber compounds in injection molding?  Are there material characturizations available for these types of rubbers?  I have never done anything in rubber before so this in new territory for me.

John Carter

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
raalteh
in reply to: jcarter

Hi John,

Fair question. Most rubbers are practically custom and batch formulated. There are few rubbers available off the shelf, which means that whatever grade you would find in the database would have very limited applicability for your particular grade (which would probably have a very different formulation). 

A side effect of this is that the the rubbers that are tested, are composed for a specific application, and is more than likely confidential, and not available for inclusion in the normal moldflow material database.

Thermoset materials including rubbers can betested either by the Moldflow material labs or at other material testing labs.

Hanno

Hanno van Raalte,

Product Manager - Injection Molding & Moldflow products
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 3
Serios
in reply to: jcarter

Hanno,

What kinetic parameters are needed to achieve accurate modleing of elastomeric compounds.  I do realize that the information would be dependant on each individual compound, but need to know what to gather for characterization.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report