Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with GAS_2

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
biricio
1309 Views, 18 Replies

Problems with GAS_2

Hi, I've got a problem with a gas analysis.
The model of the image is moulded with gas. I want to simulate the behavior of the gas.
In MPI the gas doesn't follow the contour of the model.
How can I do?

thanks
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
biricio
in reply to: biricio

This is the settings in Moldflow
Message 3 of 19
biricio

...and the Gas time (3D) result.

I don't know why the gas doesn't follow the perimeter of the model (thick thickness).
Bye
Message 4 of 19
niemoeg

It looks like the gas penetration is following the hottest flow front which will be directly back to the gate; the best location to gate the part would be near the gas injection location it will reduce the gas jumping out of the channel but it still may try to follow the hottest flow front which could be down the middle of the part. Check temperatures to see the hottest area gas will try to penetrate that area first.

George
Message 5 of 19
niemoeg

Add two gates on the end of the part in the corners to help the gas start along the edge

George
Message 6 of 19
biricio

If I understand good, I must to move the gate near the gas injection gate (like the attach image).
Is it correct?
In your opinion, the settings are OK?

thanks
Message 7 of 19
biricio

you wrote: "Add two gates on the end of the part in the corners to help the gas start along the edge"

Shall I add a plastic injection gates or gas gates?
thanks
Message 8 of 19
niemoeg

I would try moving the injection molding gate to the corners the hot flow front will help start the gas along the edge in your thick wall section but it may also jump out of the thick wall if it finds areas with a higher temperature

George

You could also fill to about 97 to 98% and use a gas delay to help the gas stay in the channel only issues with that is the weld line could be a issue if the temperature drops
Message 9 of 19
niemoeg

I think this is what you want to do

George
Message 10 of 19
biricio

Thanks niemoeg for the help.

I had done an analysis with 3 gates but the results and that you see in attach image.
Now, I try with 2 gates and change the volume filled at 97/98%
Message 11 of 19
biricio

Hi, I've done a new analysis with 2 injection gate on the corner.
But the situation is the same of the other analysis.
I don't know where I do wrong.
Message 12 of 19
GalSherbelis7635

Hi Biricio,

The gas flows in the "path of least resistance". Resistance to flow is proportional to the channel thickness, width, length and viscosity. Creating thick channels in the frame does not mean this is the path of least resistance and this is exactly what the software is showing you. The gas finds lower resistance in breaking through the center surface (shorter length to the polymer flow front) than going around the frame.

It is hard to tell what to do without looking at the polymer fill pattern. It is usually easier to control the gas flow after the cavity had been filled with polymer. To do that you have to create an overflow well as far away from the gas injection point/s as possible and open it after the cavity had been filled. I am not sure if you can use this technique for this part.

It is a bit tricky to get the gas to flow around the frame because it will find one path that offers lower resistance ( ie half frame). You have to create two distinct flow channels (change the geometry).

Regards

Gal
Message 13 of 19
biricio

Hi, I attach an image of the filling.

We want only one gate, almost central.
How do I proceed?
1- builds overflow beams
2- modify the analysis settings. but what?
thanks
Message 14 of 19
biricio

I ask a BIG favor.
When you have time, you can look at the file and tell me how to set it.
The file is not big (as dimension).
thank you very much.

http://rapidshare.com/files/375957567/p132030235_08_ste__study__copy_.rar.html
Message 15 of 19
sernas

Hello,

I hope by now you have made some progress in your gas assist, but if not, might I offer my 2 cents worth of opinion:

Initially, when first reviewing the part, I must ask "why gas it at all - why not add ribs since it seems you have 4 side/slide actions to begin with and could probably add an equivalent number of ribs for the strength requirements.

That said, if you still must gas, the only advice I can offer is:
I would start with full shot and over flows, the displaced volume of the desired channels most likely will not fill the remaining 25% or so of a short shot as you have set up in one of the images. You should be able to calculate a best case volume of the desired gas channels and fill accordingly, but a center of mass polymer gate will probably prevent any effective short shot use.
Then try to modify the geometry to include a molded in manifold for a single gas input location to create a channel to all 3 ribs.

Let us know what worked.

Good Luck - SPS
Message 16 of 19
biricio

Thank you for your reply.
Maybe I explained it well. But the piece has already done. Already exists.
I want to simulate in Moldflow filling og the gas.
But unfortunately I can not.

I attached the MPI file two posts ago.
If you can look. You would do me a big favor.
Thank you.
Stef
Message 17 of 19
sernas

Hello,

If I understand you correctly, the part is in production but you want to gas-assist the part, perhaps to address warpage issues?

I reviewed the SDY file and the aspect ratio could be decreased and layer number increased. But I believe that the gas pin is in a bad place. All gas pins I have seen go into thick areas. The current placement is in a thin area between the ribs to be gassed. So I would:
- move the gas pin to the outside so you can more accurately place it in the middle of a rib (any rib) and see if you can gas just that rib alone. I would try the center rib and place the gas pin so the notch on the other end of the part is about equidistant from the gas pin location.
- Approximately at the notch, 180 degrees opposite the gas pin, on the same center rib, attach an overflow well and valve of beam elements approx equal to the volume you expect to gas out. .
- change the short shot to fill completely
- change the fill time to whatever the production part is and adjust other settings accordingly.
- once a single rib is gassed, then copy the configuration to do all 3 ribs individually.
- My guess is the geometry will then have to be modified to join the ribs together to give the gas a path to follow from 1 central gas injection point.

Good Luck
Stephen.
Message 18 of 19
biricio

Yes, the part is already in production and it mades with GAS. I just want simulate the real moulding process with MPI.
I'll give you a few questions:
1-How can I 'increase the layers'?
2-How do I 'change the short shot to fill completely'?

I can not move the point because the gas injection and now in that position.
I attach the latest results.
How can I improve?
I would like the GAS did all the perimeter.
Thank you.
Message 19 of 19
yannick.moret

Hello,

Number of layers is in the meshing option, on tetra tab. Go for a fine mesh.

If you want to reproduce molding conditions, model also your runner system,and ensure you reported properly the molding conditions from the injection molding machine to the process settings. Do not hesitate to add the injection molding machine characteristics, like the screw diameter.
I can see on your pdf that you are using the automatic option for the fill time, and all the default settings.

If you want simulation to match experimental data, you need to have the model, the material, and the process settings to match also between experiment and simulation.

Regards

Yannick

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report