Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plastic Weld line - Paint Effect

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
2046 Views, 5 Replies

Plastic Weld line - Paint Effect

I was told Paint might react at plastic weld line area for Paint/spray plastic component.

Plastic weld line is weakness area but paint react will cause it worse.

Please do let me know if you have did the study for this issue or any Journal Paper can be referred.

Regards,

Ncu.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
rajeshkumarpv
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello Ncu,

Chances are very high and the weld line can break up due to painting process as it moves through a higher temperature and preliminary surface treatment.

It even depends on the material you are using.

Regards,

Rajesh Kumar P V  

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

Hello Rajesh Kumar P V ,

Please share with me if you have the study or some Journal Paper can support on the statement.

unfilled ABS was used on my case.

Regards,

Ncu.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

I think that first of all you need to determine if the weld line is of poor quality or not. 

check the temperature , pressure and melding angle that the weld line is formed under.

Also, because of temp/pressure  .. one at , or near the end of fill will usually be the poorest situation.

ABS with a low flow rate hurts as well.

If you got holes in your part ,,, you will get weld lines , of course ... just check the quality of them.

This is expalined in a help section

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

We are painting at this moment and just to cover the welding line.  Mostly is PC.  Definetly it can be worst with painting,  you not have to worry if the wall thickness is more than 1.5mm and also venting is working properly.  Also make sure the mold temperature is adjusted for the  plastic material that you are using.

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Thanks for your advice.

Just share my study:

Chemical Resistance might need to consider. Previous material after painting was arranged for Izod Impact and the result is not good. Alternative with better Chemical Resistance will help.

Painting material improvement also will help for this issue.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report