Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moldflow to ansys Interface

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
3490 Views, 9 Replies

Moldflow to ansys Interface

Dear All,

I would like to clarify few questions regarding macro files,

To export model and result to Ansys, I followed the procedure as mention in Autodesk help,

the first is running the mpi2ans.vbs script to create the necessary interface files; the second is locating these interface files and using them in ANSYS.

I run the simple fill and pack analysis, I create interface file (mpi2ans.vbs script), please find the attachment

Do I need to write something in dos window (attachment), to locate the interface file?

how to locate these interface files? Does it mean to locate in Moldflow? Could you please share the procedure for Moldflow to Ansys interface from beginning to end?

As command line in modlflow creates the file name with moldflow2ansys.db, how to open the db file in (Ansys workbench, static structural analysis)?while importing file Ansys ask for *cdb, *cmdb files.

Thanks and Regards,

Mayur

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
inba.oneway777
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

What you are using 'Mpi2ans' method is traditional one. in this case we have to use sam moldflow mesh to the ansys.

but the mesh quality will be affected. we unable to achieve the FEA mesh quality.

better you can use Autodesk moldflow structural aliance software.

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/search-result/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Autodesk-Moldflow-Structu...

Inba Sudhahar D

Mail: inba.oneway777@gmail.com
Phone: +91-9884929216
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
if the answer is accepted as a solution. Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you! .....
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: inba.oneway777

Hi,

Thank you so much for specific information. I will go through ASMA, 

I would like to ask one more question,

I have db file, I would like to know the methodology followed for ( db files - static structural analysis)

How to open the .db file in Ansys, do I need to open it in mechanical APDL, and then open in static structural?

what is the procedure to convert the db file to cdb, and to open cdb mechanical APDL to static structural analysis? Please elaborate.

Thanks and Regards,

Mayur

Message 4 of 10
triveds

Dear Mayur,

Autodesk Moldflow Insight create the Ansys interface file with help of mpi2ans.vbs command.

User can modified the name of file or unit of file. but not the location of file.

Moldflow create the new interface folder within your project directory. Either you can copy those file to your desired location or use the same location.

To Open *.db file, you have to use Mechanical APDL and read the file inside it and run the analysis or also may connect that file to Ansys workbench.

Please find the attached ppt which show the workflow.

Thanks,

Sharad

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: triveds

Hi, t_trivs, would be possible to post this workflow again?

I'm trying to import a moldflow simulation into ansys but I'm facing a lot of problems....

thank you

Message 6 of 10
triveds

Dear User,

To do the better workflow for moldflow and Ansys, then I prefer to use Helius PFA product, which has AME (Advance Material Exchange Module /tool), to  transfer few moldflow results/ material data to ansys FEA suitable mesh.

Product deatils are available at: http://www.autodesk.com/products/helius-pfa/overview 

Thanks,

Sharad

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: triveds

Thank you for your answer.

But is possible to import results from Moldflow to Ansys without using any additional module?

I'm really struggling to find informations about how to import into Ansys on Internet.

To import do I need to use Ansys Classical or workbench also works?

Moldflow is generating .cdb, .ist and moldflow2ansys.db files (there are other files, but I think these are the most importants).

What sequence should I follow on Workbench (or classical) in order to import?

thank you again

Best regards

Message 8 of 10
c.resende

Hi,

I have the same problem!

Do we need to put any additional parameter in moldflow before running the simulation?

Because I always have problems importing the cdb file.

Best regards,

Cedric

Message 9 of 10
anouar-metboue

Hello ,

Did you find the solution ? I have the same problem wich is I don't know what to do with the db and cdb file.

Can you tell me the solution if you already found it?

Thank you for your help

Message 10 of 10
boyd.allin
in reply to: anouar-metboue

Unfortunately ANSYS cannot do structural analysis just using a database prepared by running a script off a moldflow simulation. ABAQUS can do this but you likely do not have access to that solver. 
To do this in ANSYS you must as other commenters indicate use the "injection molding" module in WB and assign the following files mesh = *.pat, fiber orientation = *.xml and initial stress = *.ist (all of these are generated by the script in moldflow). Now comes the issue, you need to develop your own material model using material designer (WB module) and you need physical test data to do this unfilled material and fiber properties. In many cases you do not have this so you are out of luck.  Abaqus with a script can take the information directly from the moldflow files and use the per element anisotropic material data encoded there plus the CTE data per element.  At present you must use the same mesh in the FEA solve as the moldflow.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report