Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moldflow Structural Analysis - multip

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
b.gierl
565 Views, 3 Replies

Moldflow Structural Analysis - multip

Hello community,

I have a maybe simple question:

Is the AMSA export wizard from Abaqus to Moldflow capable to export 2 different parts into one study?

I set up the model with 2 Parts (one of which should be handled as a "part insert". Everything's fine here, but when I try to export the model via Wizard (Insight option to generate *.mpi) it imports as 2 studies in Moldflow.

If I export it from Abaqus via Wizard as STL, the export works, but the results can't be imported back to Abaqus, because there is no *.mcr file. and the import of the study doesn't work.

Any ideas? Or any real documentation on this except the real short Install *.pdf which was included in the download from subscription?

Regards

B.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
mayur_dhumal
in reply to: b.gierl

Hi Gierl,

Even if you get two different study files in .mpi on export, you can always add one .sdy file in another.

You just need to open any one .sdy file then Navigate to Home>Import & browse for the file location in mpi & import the other file here, so that you will get part & part insert both in a .sdy file.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Mayur
Message 3 of 4
b.gierl
in reply to: mayur_dhumal

Hello Mayur,

I tried your suggestion, and you're right with the import in one study.

But:

I'm interested in material data (expansion coefficient, E-modulus, fiber orientation, and so on) from the mould component, but if I import the part insert study in the mould component study, does this work when exported back to Abaqus?

The problem is, MF export generates a Input - File for Abaqus, so I have no way to change anything afterwards in Abaqus - GUI. This is important for a lot of things like boundary conditions, loads, contact constraints,...

And there is already an *.mcr file generated in the beginning from the ABAQUS export wizard, which places the material exported from abaqus to a specific study. Therefore If I mess up the studies imported in MF, it might probably not work as intended.

In principle, I want to do a thermomechanical analysis after the injection process with MF in Abaqus. So I have to be careful not to mix up the material data from both parts (one is PA12, the other is Steel).

Regards

B.

Message 4 of 4
HNW_CHM_2012
in reply to: b.gierl

Hi Gierl,

I'm also working with similar expectations from Moldflow - ANSYS . Did you try using the "mpi2abq" Macro ?

This will generate many files like fiber orientation,initial stress data etc ..which can be used to input data to abaqus .I personally didn't do .

For more understanding please search with 

"Interface to Abaqus (3D)"  in  "http://help.autodesk.com/view/MFIA/2014/ENU/"  . Hope this helps

Regards

RAM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums