Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moldflow Midplane

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Ncu-me
1755 Views, 6 Replies

Moldflow Midplane

Normally Dualdomain (Fusion) was used for most of the my case but current I face some meshing pattern (hole array pattern) design and I was told Midplane would be suggested for simulation.

I never run Dualdomain before and can't find support from "Help".

Please help to advice the step on Midplane analysis.

1.0 Base on my understanding, midsurface surface need to be generated in CAD system  or some plastic analysis programs.

2.0 Sew the midsurface if necessary.

3.0 Export the file to Moldflow and redefine the thickness to run the simulation.

The questions is normally the geometry is quite complicate and lot of ribs, feature need to be extracted to get midsurface. It can be time consuming to determine the midplane. We might not get accurate result if not doing that.

Please advice.

Regards,

Ncu.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
dkosheba1
in reply to: Ncu-me

You are correct, if your CAD person can generate this for you that is great.  Otherwise we use Hypermesh to import CAD, it has a fairly decent midplane generator, it captures the thickness property.  Then we fix the free edges in geo, and mesh.  then auto assign thickness in Hypermesh and export a .udm file for import into Moldflow.  I finish cleaning up mesh in Moldflow and verify all thicknesses before running.   The learning curve to do all this the first time is a pain, but it is really fast once you master it.

Don

Message 3 of 7
Ncu-me
in reply to: dkosheba1

Hi Don,

Thanks for your prompt response.

As mentioned, the component with lot of ribs, feature and with different thickness. The component is quite complicate and I can't imaging how long it will take to get the midsurface and sew it together since I do not have Hypermesh software.

Could we still run it at Fusion(Dualdomain) and take longer solving time? Which (Midplane or Dualdomain) could get accurate result?

Do you know where could download tutorial for Midplane and it will help?

Regards,

Ncu.

Message 4 of 7
dkosheba1

If you get a good dual domain mesh, I would copy the study and 3d mesh it if you have the license.  The 3d solver is actually faster than the fusion solver on the same model, even with 10x the number of elements.  And I like the results better in almost every case.

Don

Message 5 of 7
Ncu-me
in reply to: dkosheba1

Hi Don,

I do not sure your first statement. What is "3D mesh it"? Is that means we import the file in 3D and solve it should be faster than Dual Domain?

Do we consider Hole array design (Mesh Pattern) is chuncky and we should use 3D to solve it?

Ncu.

Message 6 of 7
nordhb

Hi,
there are three basic main mesh types available:
- Midplane
- Dual Domain
- 3D = tetra mesh (Tetrahedral elements are 4-noded elements used to 3D meshes.)

In Autodesk Moldflow Insight you have access to all three types,and the solvers.

Midplane:
There is a built in Midplane Generator in Insight, if you want to collaps a Dual Domain mesh.
Some clean-up in cad model recommended, such as remove small fillets, text et.c., before
importing the geometry and mesh to Dual Domain, to improve midplaning result.

3D mesh:
A Dual Domain mesh is many times the starting point.
Set Mesh Type > 3D, and mesh to 3D tetra's.

Regards,
Berndt

Berndt Nordh
Message 7 of 7
changing
in reply to: nordhb

Hello Ncu,

We use Midplane mesh frequently. We have a vendor create mesh for us. If you need, I can introduce you to them.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report