Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum part thickness

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
kchoi
596 Views, 1 Reply

Minimum part thickness

What is the Minimum part thickness for midplane and dual domain can handle.

Recently we ran a analysis for a part contain some membrance with 0.002 to 0.006 inch.

In reality we see that is a problem to fill the membrance, in the analysis doesn't show any problem( not even higher pressure)

I am wondering is it some limit for mid-plane and dual domain to handle extrem thin section.

thanks 

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
nishit78
in reply to: kchoi

I had recently modeled a part which had a very thin section (.002") and moldflow did a great job predicting the fill behaviour. It was a dual-domain mesh, the resin was TPE and when i compared the short shots it was spot on.

You have to be careful though because the mesh settings have a default merge tolerance of .004". I had to reduce that number to .001". I had to assign local mesh densities. Also i got best results when i changed the CAD model from .002" to .004" and then change it back after meshing in moldflow.

Based on my experience with a total of 2 different parts moldflow did not seem to have a minimum thickness (except for zero thickness) for dual-domain mesh as long as you can mesh it correctly i.e. represent the thickness without collapsing the mesh. If i remember well the analysis log does show a warning about very thin elements "i think".

Let me know if you need more info.

Nish

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report