Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Midplane inserts for cool analysis

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
piepCAE
475 Views, 5 Replies

Midplane inserts for cool analysis

Hello,

Is it possible to run a cool analysis using midplane mesh for the part and mold inserts? The inserts I need to use aren't planar, in fact they're very thick. How can I model it?

Thank you,

Carlos

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
mayur_dhumal
in reply to: piepCAE

Hi,

That's why it has provided a option to choose a solver from DD or 3D, if you can't model a complex feature in midplane mesh. If i may ask, Why is it necessary to use Midplane only?

Regards,

Mayur

Message 3 of 6
madhukeshwart

Better use 3D(BEM)/3D(FEM) cool

Madhukeshwar Talwar

FORD MOTORS PRIVATE LIMITED, Chennai
mail: madhukeshwart@gmail.com
======================================
Please use . Accept as Solution and Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you! .....
Message 4 of 6
madhukeshwart

1. Create mold insert as a volume mesh

2. Assign property as mold insert surface and assign insert material.

3. Assign mold insert material to part elements where ever necessary and to cooling beams which touch inserts for more accuracy. 

4. If in doubt contact local Autodesk support. 

Madhukeshwar Talwar

Please use . Accept as Solution and Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you! .....
Message 5 of 6
mayur_dhumal

Hi Carlos,

I understand that midplane will allow you to limit number of elements to less as compared to 3D, but if you have observe modelling in 3D is less time consuming as well 3D solver gives you quick results as compared to Midplane.

So it will be easier for you as well to model in 3D so that inserts can be designed, accuracy can be maintained, objectives will meet.

I dont know why at your end 3D solver is taking more time. Please confirm once again.

Considering 1mX1m with 2.5mm nominal thickness, you can create meshes, One for initial process parameter validation/optimization/freezing all parameters ---------- For this you can create a bigger edge length mesh.

After you are through with freezing all factors/parameters then meanwhile you can create a less edge length mesh. This will compensate in your time. I hope you are understanding what i have to say.

Regards,
Mayur

Message 6 of 6

Hi Carlos, 

I agree with Mayur,  but not 3D mesh cool (BEM) +flow+warp, It may huge time to converge cool analysis itself. 

Instead of that, it is recommendable to use 3D mesh cool(FEM) +flow+warp will use be supported by multi-threading and parallelization

If you have quad core or 8 core CPU. Surely it reduces the time to complete analysis. It will be lesser than mid-plane normal cooling.

In 3D mesh, cool(FEM) +flow+warp, with > mold Temperature options > averaged within cycle option is similar to '3D mesh cool(BEM) +flow+warp'

Surely , it reduces part meshing time as well as complete analysis time.

Madhukeshwar Talwar

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report