Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mesh vertices numbering on export // Making selections for PostProcessing easier

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
harald_goetz
327 Views, 1 Reply

Mesh vertices numbering on export // Making selections for PostProcessing easier

I really have a Problem with Moldflow, and I´m not alone!

I have seen Jim McGuire presentation

Net Shape Injection Molding: Warpage Prediction-Based Mold Correction

Net Shape Injection Molding Warpage Prediction-Based_2014-08-05_22-41-49.png

There you can see, he has some problems with selection of nodes and some wishes.

I´ve seen similar things by another user in germany who has helped himself by exporting the (Patran) Mesh and do the selections outside moldflow or at least by a linked (selfwritten) tool.

So I´m thinking about doing myself the same, or get someone else to do this job. Smiley Happy

What I found out so far:

- If you have a DD Mesh and make later a 3D mesh, your external vertices (="Nodes" in Moldflow) keep the same no.

That even worked for me when meshing with external source and importing nas or bdf mesh (DD)

What I would like to do:

Selections can be done in nearly every other 3D tool better than in Moldflow.
One reason (I asked Franco Costa and Hanno Raalte in 2013) is, that the vertex doesn´t know about the edge (we see itb but MF internally not, right?).

So I exported a small Abaqus mesh, use a free tool that exports *.inp (3d) to *.ply (Stanford format) and read it into Blender.

There I could do every selection I want, like shortest path etc. and throw out the vertex(Nodes no. by a script.

Vertex-sel_Blender_2014-08-05_22-40-04.png

This seems tedious, but the best way for complicated selections (better would be Moldflow internal, but that would mean a "ghost" mesh overhead).

What else could help a lot here?

My wish / suggestion: Make an export as *.ply from Moldflow for surface (DD) and 3D meshes availabe. Whether as script or as dialog. But it has to keep the same Node no.!

I´ve tried FBX, but it seems the Node-no. are scrambled (new sorted), could also be that Blender does something wrong, but I don´t think so.

So any takers? Any comments from the MF meshing engineers?

Everything is welcome.

Regards

Harald

Tags (1)
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
harald_goetz
in reply to: harald_goetz

MF Team has made a "case" out of it, - would have given KUDOS if the answer would be here!
Thankyou for listening.
Harald

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report