Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to exclude unfilled parts (short shot) from warpage calculation?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
M.Brassel
538 Views, 5 Replies

Is there a way to exclude unfilled parts (short shot) from warpage calculation?

In the past I made several simulations of parts with expected short shots in some very thin areas. Moldflow gives a result of unfilled cavity which slightly differs from the fill time results, concerning the unfilled elements.

The unfilled elements lead to several problems, especially in warpage calculation. The warpage results showed a tremendous amount of deflection in this zone, though it does not contain any melt.

As a workaround I selected the unfilled elements in a tedious process and collected them in an additional layer, that could easily be hidden. Then I displayed the results scaled by frame. Somehow I was able to show reasonable results for the rest of the part, but to reach an acceptable accuracy of this process I needed a lot of work, because of the many steps of switching around between the results and the mesh to select.

Did anyone experience something similar? Or do you have a better idea for solving this?

--
Please use "accept as solution", so others may find solutions quickly. Also give kudos where suitable to further enhance these forums.
Tags (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Alex.Bakharev
in reply to: M.Brassel

The short shot areas should be excluded from warpage calculations automatically, at least in the modern versions of Moldflow solvers. Something is not right. Can you check that warpage produces results in the short shot area and if it is true post the model. Just remember that some area can fill during packing stage, etc. 

Message 3 of 6
M.Brassel
in reply to: Alex.Bakharev

Thank you for your answer, I will investigate on this. This may take some time...
--
Please use "accept as solution", so others may find solutions quickly. Also give kudos where suitable to further enhance these forums.
Message 4 of 6
vasyabc

Mr. Brassel,

I have one question for you, is warpage results required even the part short shots,
My doubt is there have to be change in feed system or process setting for the part to fill completely. which in turn affects the warpage results.

correct me if i am wrong.
Regards,
B.Vasanth
Message 5 of 6
M.Brassel
in reply to: vasyabc

Dear Mr. Vasanth,

in this special case we have a spot in our part where a short-shot is already expected, due to the really small wall thickness at this spot.
The focus of our simulations was on several other aspects, especially the warpage of the whole product (with several inserts). So the unfilled thin spot was of minor interest, but it showed the highest peaks in warpage.
--
Message 6 of 6
vasyabc

Mr.Brassel,

Thank you very much for you kind reply. this is really interesting.

Regards,

B.Vasanth

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report