Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insert Overmolding

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
MFI-MaF
2083 Views, 10 Replies

Insert Overmolding

Hi,

I want to simulate a overmolding-process, with an insert out of metal. I've changed the insert-mesh property type to "Insert Part". But when the simulation runs, it filles the insert volume. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for help 🙂

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
MFI-MaF
in reply to: MFI-MaF

Sorry, i forget to say, just the part of the insert volume, which is inside the "polymer"-volume gets filled, not the volume outside. I tink the problem ist the there are two meshes overlayed.

I've made a picture to show you what i mean.

Hope you can help me.

Message 3 of 11
Piotr.Gorczyca

Hi Markus!

It seems that your mesh is bad.
Take your CAD model, subtract insert (white) from polymer (green).
Then mesh both of them, ensuring right contact between them.

In the end You shouldn´t have any intersecting elements.

Hope that I described it quite clear 🙂 

Message 4 of 11
MFI-MaF

Hi,

I've deleted the parts of the polymer-model, wish had been "mixed" with the inlay, in my CAD tool. Then I meshed both seperate and changed the inlay properties. Is that what you mean? It would be nice, if Moldflow would see that it should not mix the meshes at complex parts.

Thanks

Message 5 of 11
Piotr.Gorczyca

If You meshed them separetly, then You need to ensure perfect contact between the insert and the part.
If You will mesh them together, You can use option `Precise match` - and MF will do it for You.

Message 6 of 11
prabu27

how to insert in moldflow

Message 7 of 11
ucornes
in reply to: Piotr.Gorczyca

@Piotr, but this is not always so "precise", is it?
Message 8 of 11
Piotr.Gorczyca
in reply to: ucornes

@ucornes: it depends with what kind of models You are dealing with.
I notice that with a small and simple parts, 'precise match' is working pretty fine.
Big parts with a complicated geometry (in the contact area) and we can expect that it will not work or You will need to correct a huge amount of elements.
The question is also with which MF version You are working with. My personal feeling is, that between MF11 and MF13 they made some improvements in this field. How is it working in MF14 - I have no idea (yet).

Message 9 of 11
ucornes

Well, I actually work on MF14. I design plastic parts for small appliances, which have really complex surfaces and what I have seen is that I will have to continue copying and pasting and stitching meshes...Smiley Frustrated

Message 10 of 11
nordhb
in reply to: ucornes

Hi,
have a look at this topic for similar discussion/comments:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Simulation-Moldflow/Meshing-assembly/td-p/4351696

Reagards,

Berndt

Berndt Nordh
Message 11 of 11
Piotr.Gorczyca

@ucornes: I know this problem pretty well.. Moreover I think that, 'Copy,paste and stitch' method is the only one working if You are dealing with different mesh densities (part and insert meshes).

@nordhb: I have followed this topic. In my cases CADDOC is not a really helpful tool. But I will try that method with something smaller one day.

Regarding improvement in MF12 - I can totally agree. I have compared results from MF11 and MF12, and for non-precise contact, MF12 is not showing 'funny' temperature distribution. Of course in MF13 is also so.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report