Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Influence of fiber length on fiber orientaion?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
89student
478 Views, 3 Replies

Influence of fiber length on fiber orientaion?

Hi to all,

I would like to ask in how far the the fiber length is taken into account during the prediction of the fiber oriantation in the fiber orientation models in Moldflow?

Thank you for any answers!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Alex.Bakharev
in reply to: 89student

In the models used by Moldflow the fiber length by itself has no influence on fiber orientation. What is important is the "aspect ratio" AR=L/D where L is the fiber length and D is the fiber diameter.  If fiber aspect ratio is very large (infinite) then in shear-dominated flow the fiber once oriented in flow direction would stay in flow direction and any thickness-direction orientation will be caused only by fiber interactions (collisions between fibers). If the aspect ratio is finite then even oriented in flow direction the fiber would slowly rotate because the melt velocity on the opposite sides of the fiber is different. This rotation obviously affects fiber orientation. At AR>~50 movements of fiber due to fiber interactions completely dominate the rotation and the fiber behaves like having  an infinite aspect ratio. For typical commercial fiber filled plastics AR~20 and the aspect ratio affects fiber orientation only marginally. If AR=1 the "fiber" behave like a sphere and cannot be oriented at all. If AR<1 the "fiber" is like disk (e.g. mica scale). It orients very differently from normal fiber.

For most of the materials in standard Moldflow database the fiber length is not given, only the fiber aspect ratio. If the fiber length is given then Moldflow can predict fiber breakage. Fiber breakage reduces the average aspect ratio of fibers, so it affect fiber orientation.

Aspect ratio of fibers also affects predicted mechanical properties of composites and its shrinkage (and warpage) but this is another story.

Message 3 of 4

Hi All,

thanks for this thread and explanations.
Let me have a slightly different question please:
I wonder when you get the "Tensile modulus in 1st/2nd principal direction (fiber) " result using the dual-domain analysis type, does the modulus result regard to the fibre or to the part ?
Can you help me please in clarifying this.
sorry for the confusion, thanks for your help!
Message 4 of 4

Yes, you are absolutely right. Predicted mechanical properties (tensile moduli, Poison ratios, CLTEe) are calculated from the predicted fiber orientation (and fiber breakage if it is done).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report